What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday night's dinner was a spicy soup with flat breads. The soup was actually adapted from a recipe in "Feast" for a spicy lamb hotpot but, as I didn't have any thawed out or fresh lamb to hand, I added more potato and onion plus a bit more liquid to make a soup. Afters was a very juicy orange, which was in the Tesco carrier bag in the background :giggle:

Spicy veg soup.jpg

Last time I tried to make bread it never rose, it was new yeast so don't know what went on there.?

Russ
The water may have been too warm - heat kills yeast. I have the opposite trouble at the moment, as my kitchen is not heated, and I have to leave the bread longer to rise. One good thing about sourdough is that you make a starter from flour and water only and don't actually need to add any yeast. It develops naturally.

Last time I tried to make bread it never rose, it was new yeast so don't know what went on there.?

Russ

The liquid should feel warm to you. I always start my yeast in a small bowl with a little bit of sugar and part of the liquid from the recipe. Let it sit for a few minutes until you start to see it bloom. Got that tip from a bread making class and haven't had a rise failure since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom