What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful and healthy too often appear in proximity in sentences, but that looks tasty, especially wih the snow on top (feta?)

Its gone midnight. I'm eating tomato soup with slightly burnt toast. The slightly burnt was intentional. This will be followed by a lightly boiled egg with slightly burnt toast soldiers.

Not my image but this sort of thing - although this is a toasted cheese sandwich which would be even better!

Rustic-Tomato-Basil-Soup-and-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwiches-14.jpg

Photo from http://honestandtasty.com/grilled-cheese-sandwiches-and-rustic-tomato-basil-soup/

Today was my birthday so we went to Carraba's (a chain Italian-American restaurant) so I could have the mussels in lemon butter sauce with Pernod and basil that I have been craving. We had fried calamari for an appy. I had grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto as a side, which Craig shared. It was drizzled with a balsamic reduction, which I am totally stealing and using from now on. Craig had lasagna with a side of meatballs. Plus, we had their rustic bread and dipping sauce of spices and garlic in olive oil that we will.be adding to the garlic bread thread as we had forgotten about it since it had been so long since we we had been to 1 of these restaurants. Saying that I am stuffed is a vast understatement.

2018-05-05 20.10.06.jpg

Happy Birthday, med! All the best for a year that finds you healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Btw, I love Carrabbas! I'm going to have to try their mussels.

And yes, buy a $10 bottle of balsmic vinegar from Modena, and slowly boil it off to get that delicious reduction.

As great on a Caprese salad or veggies as it is on roast chicken or fish. It's even good on ice cream.

I do recommend, however, if you have the ability to use an outdoor grill (as in a gas grill with side burner), reduce the vinegar outdoors where you won't need gas masks.

Oh, I've done reductions before, just not for the grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto. Usually, I sauce them with a lemon butter garlic sauce, but the balsamic was so much better.

Thanks for the good wishes and definitely try the mussels. I have a copycat recipe that's very, very close, but didn't want to.cook on my B day

A sausage roll, roast potatoes and proper mushy peas. The purchased sausage roll was in flakey pastry and the meat had just enough seasoning for me (I could have added more if I'd wished). I shall certainly be trying more.

sausage roll s.jpg

Today was my birthday so we went to Carraba's (a chain Italian-American restaurant) so I could have the mussels in lemon butter sauce with Pernod and basil that I have been craving. We had fried calamari for an appy. I had grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto as a side, which Craig shared. It was drizzled with a balsamic reduction, which I am totally stealing and using from now on. Craig had lasagna with a side of meatballs. Plus, we had their rustic bread and dipping sauce of spices and garlic in olive oil that we will.be adding to the garlic bread thread as we had forgotten about it since it had been so long since we we had been to 1 of these restaurants. Saying that I am stuffed is a vast understatement.

View attachment 15960

Happy birthday for yesterday. :birthday:That meal sounds fantastic and probably exactly what I would have ordered.

Last edited:
The sausage rolls look good. Are they imported?

No, the sausage is definitely local pork (we really do have some of the best pork) and they are "manufactured" here in Thailand. I cannot say from where the pastry comes. The cost of that 250 mm long roll was just under 30 bob delivered.

Today we had a picnic. We had home made humour (but the black think I made was grainy so I used up the last of the shop-bought. Home made falafel. Quinoa salad (herbs, chilli, onion, tomato). Crudités.

Followed by shop bought gluten and dairy free cake (too hot to bake).

Sounds awfully healthy! :okay:

It was really good.

The weather is beautiful in Michigan today. I've had a Turkey breast in a brine for the last 24 hours. I'm going to slow cook it over indirect heat on the charcoal grill. Sides will be corn on the cob, zukes, and a a roasted romaine/radishes salad.

611C7643-4B2F-424C-8553-F913DE4E9F87.jpeg

Turnip and Beet Air Fries with Blackberry BBQ Sauce.

Sometimes, I feel like I’m too clever for my own good. I just bought an air fryer, which uses a small amount of oil to fry things. And, rather than use potatoes like a normal person, I decided to try making fries out of beets and turnips.

I was skeptical regarding how they would turn out: the “fries” aren’t quite as crispy as those out of a deep fryer. No surprise there. But, wow, do they ever taste good. I love the earthiness of both of these. And, the barbecue sauce I adapted from @detroitdad’s excellent recipe paired perfectly with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom