What did you cook/eat today (November 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Root vegetable and chickpea stew with wholemeal bread plait:

20171108_142213.jpg

20171108_160641.jpg

Question for all of you. I have been holding my tongue. I see beautiful plates. Are these "photo plates" or do you really eat this much food at one sitting?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Your lunch plates would feed us both + one.

Other platings make my mouth water but make my tummy hurt. Much too much food on a plate. I am thinking photo op and not real single or even double portions,

Speaking for myself, if the food item is alone on a plate, dish or bowl, it may be more than one portion because it will have been taken for uploading to a website for a recipe (either my own site or a third party site). If the food item is accompanied by other foods then it is probably one portion and more than likely for me alone.

For example: This is two portions of coriander chicken:

coriander chicken 4 s.jpg

Whereas this is a single portion served with rice and bhindi bhaji (and there'll be a roti in attendance closeby):

coriander chicken 6 s.jpg

Last edited:
The single portion looks like a lot of food. I would eat 1/3 - 1/2 of that lovely dish. I think because I have gotten away from carbs. When Honey Bear is away I eat carbs as a treat and sacrifice the protein. Shame on me.

Question for all of you. I have been holding my tongue. I see beautiful plates. Are these "photo plates" or do you really eat this much food at one sitting?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Your lunch plates would feed us both + one.

Other platings make my mouth water but make my tummy hurt. Much too much food on a plate. I am thinking photo op and not real single or even double portions,

If you point to one of my photos I can tell you - the one above of the veg stew #136 would be an average portion (the soup bowl on the left). It was, in fact, set up for the photo as the food was for the evening and I wanted a daylight shot.

We use small plates, and as you can see I usually leave a good 1.5 inch edge around the food...I don`t always finish my plate and my leftovers get scooped back in the pan from where it came because it is just me who eats it the next day..my gf never eats left overs..I probably eat more meat than I should but sometimes you need a certain size of cut if you want to do a particular recipe, and I am fortunate to own a meat shop, so I just grab pre cut stuff out of the case before coming home...

We use small plates, and as you can see I usually leave a good 1.5 inch edge around the food...I don`t always finish my plate and my leftovers get scooped back in the pan from where it came because it is just me who eats it the next day..my gf never eats left overs..I probably eat more meat than I should but sometimes you need a certain size of cut if you want to do a particular recipe, and I am fortunate to own a meat shop, so I just grab pre cut stuff out of the case before coming home...

Well @Rocklobster, your photo above (#138) is a close shot which makes things look bigger! And unless you are using giant pasta, that pork loin chop can't be huge.

Last edited:
@SatNavSaysStraightOn Your lunch plates would feed us both + one

Also speaking for myself, that is a single serving, not 3. It's my lunch, starting at about 11 am and going on to 3-4pm... I'm used to snacking like that on raw veg from my days working in a school and cycling to and from work. So it's a snack, lunch and another snack for me because I learnt the hard way that I will snack on sugary things otherwise. But remember raw veg such as carrot, celery, snow peas, cucumber etc don't have much in the way of calories, and don't fill you up for long. Lettuce which the plate/bowl is padded out with its virtually useless to the body.

There's no oil or any other dressings. Just the hummus as a dip. This is my main meal and where I get most of my protein from. And the reality is that there's not a huge amount of protein there, sadly.

I, also don't have anything else with it.

The bowl above contains only the following :
1 small carrot, 1 stick of celery, 1 inch of red pepper, 2 inches of cucumber, 1 cooked beetroot, 4 red grapes, 7 green olives, 75g tofu in sticks (this is not UK tofu but more like the description of tofoo), lettuce, a spring onion, a small handful of snow peas (mange tout maybe?) perhaps 7-10 of those and hummus (ok 2 servings of a low oil hummus).

That is my lunch and how I plate it up. Even when I make it on a plate or for an evening meal with my hubby, that is how I plate it. Easy to do as you prepare the meal. Lettuce down first, 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery, chunk of cucumber, beetroot in the centre, inch or so of red pepper and add you chop them up you put them on the plate /in the bowl. When I'm done with the veg, I add the protein and if I'm having a treat, some nuts. Finally I'll add the hummus or other dip. We've found a really nice hummus here that isn't laden with oil and had relatively few calories in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually post photos of 1 plate for my main meal which is one portion. Plates with flat breads on will be an accompaniment to that meal, and occasionally I include a photo of my desert. If there are 2 plates showing the same main meal, the other one will be covered and put in the fridge or frozen for later, or on the odd occasion eaten immediately if I am very hungry :laugh:. The blue rimmed plates I usually use are smaller than my other dinner plates (9" as opposed to 11 or 12), and sometimes I have to top up with the rest of the food I have cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom