What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horseshoe gammon today with poached eggs and Chinese cabbage (with an overload of béchamel sauce).

The natural lighting was atrocious this afternoon, overcast and threatening rain. Best I could do.

is 2 s.jpg

os 3 s.jpg

We had mussels with the coconut, lime, cilantro sauce https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/coconut-lime-cilantro-dipping-sauce.12976/ . It was good, but, unfortunately, Craig misunderstood and mixed the sauce with the mussel steaming liquid, which made it watery and diluted the flavor. Had he not done that, it would have been great. I also made some naan like flat bread to go with.

View attachment 16911

I adore mussels - would have thought you could just put them in the sauce in a pan until they open rather than steaming...

The sauce is fairly thick, wasn't sure that would work. I had wanted them steamed with minimal liquid, placed in bowl, and then sauce poured/drizzled over them. Unfortunately, that's not what happened while I was outside with our pugs.

When I cooked for my daughter last night. I asked her if she still liked a medium rare steak. She said yes. I cook almost directly over white hot coals. Its probably in the 600-650 degrees.

I put the steaks on for one minute and 45 seconds, flip, and repeat. Then I pull of the grill for the resting period. She seemed surprised on the lack of time over the grills. Once she cut into the steak she said it was perfect!!!

We served sweet potato fries, asparagus, and a tomato/mozzarella basil salad.

Got taken out for my last decent meal for a while (back in hospital now) at lunchtime.

It's quite interesting watching how a waiter handles customers sometimes. We went to a Vietnamese Vegan restaurant that had been recommended to us in Melbourne. Not knowing Melbourne or where we were going to, we'd asked for advice on one of the FB Australian vegan groups in a member of.
Anyhow, we walk in and are shown to a table, no queries on it we knew it was a vegan restaurant. People put on a table behind us were similarly seated, no questions asked. A lone male comes in, obviously s regular and whilst you wouldn't have expected it from his looks or ethnic diversity, he's handy with the chopsticks and digs in. Next 2 men come in. They are instantly queried on if they realise that there is no meat or fish on the menu here. They answer yes and are shown to a table, typical Asian style where if all tables are in use, you get down to the other end of the one with the most free space. They are challenged again on the meat free side of life... They eventually order, but one of them is a 'custom' order. He didn't want anything on the menu, so they ended up making him something especially for him...

Anyhow
I had the deep fried tofu chunks (starter for 1) and each chunk was huge. I needed to cut each chuck into 8 to eat it...
Main was a Vietnamese curry. I opted for no rice knowing it was lunchtime and likely to a big bowl of it anyhow. It was a huge bowl filled full of various veg, tofu, Yuba and some very I didn't recognise. It was like potato but stringy without being stringy in texture. It was very nice, I just will have to go back to work out what it was.

Sorry you are off back to hospital. Sounds like a good lunch. Vietnamese food is my favourite and one I need to explore cooking myself.

Got taken out for my last decent meal for a while (back in hospital now) at lunchtime.

It's quite interesting watching how a waiter handles customers sometimes. We went to a Vietnamese Vegan restaurant that had been recommended to us in Melbourne. Not knowing Melbourne or where we were going to, we'd asked for advice on one of the FB Australian vegan groups in a member of.
Anyhow, we walk in and are shown to a table, no queries on it we knew it was a vegan restaurant. People put on a table behind us were similarly seated, no questions asked. A lone male comes in, obviously s regular and whilst you wouldn't have expected it from his looks or ethnic diversity, he's handy with the chopsticks and digs in. Next 2 men come in. They are instantly queried on if they realise that there is no meat or fish on the menu here. They answer yes and are shown to a table, typical Asian style where if all tables are in use, you get down to the other end of the one with the most free space. They are challenged again on the meat free side of life... They eventually order, but one of them is a 'custom' order. He didn't want anything on the menu, so they ended up making him something especially for him...

Anyhow
I had the deep fried tofu chunks (starter for 1) and each chunk was huge. I needed to cut each chuck into 8 to eat it...
Main was a Vietnamese curry. I opted for no rice knowing it was lunchtime and likely to a big bowl of it anyhow. It was a huge bowl filled full of various veg, tofu, Yuba and some very I didn't recognise. It was like potato but stringy without being stringy in texture. It was very nice, I just will have to go back to work out what it was.

Was this on lygon st? When I'm in Melbourne I go there every night for dinner, first time we went into a Turkish restaurant and said to the waiter, we never had Turkish, and we are hungry. We said you pick for us, the bread and food was absolutely amazing. Last time I was there about 4 years ago the place was gone, or I couldn't find it.

Russ

Last night I made a General Tao Chicken and I must admit it turned out great and I also made a cheesecake with home made rum/cherry topping for a really good friend's belated birthday dinner and dessert. I forgot to take a photo of the General Tao and I will see later if there are any leftovers and try to snap one. The cake I will grab a quick photo of when I have a piece much later today. Unless I have a piece for breakfast but I do not think I would be able to take the sugar shock this early in the morning although I did have some for breakfast once the last time I made it but it is too rich and sweet for a morning food to try that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom