10 Question Food Quiz

I like it a lot (nduja). It has a fruity dimension which chorizo doesn't have. In fact, I don't really like chorozo but love nduja. It needs to be used sparingly. Maybe you tasted it neat in a little lump? A small amount will make a fantastic pasta sauce if loosened with pasta water.
Maybe it was off? It was the smell I couldn’t countenance.
Cow poo sprang to mind 😬

I missed three of them. Not proud of that.
Don't worry. The Guardian is famous for being (a) trendy (b) esoteric and (c) lefty.
Trendy - there'll always be the "latest" there, so nduja (which can be found in supermarkets in the UK) and pomegranate molasses (ibid) were clear entries. Strozzapretti may (just may) have appeared on Pasta Grannies.
Nduja, apparently, is a corruption of the French "andouille", although slightly different.
Esoteric - you're quite likely to get articles lamenting the lack of Vegan options on the Scilly Isles, how to make the perfect nettle soup or the huge popularity of apple and ricotta tart with basil leaves. They've got some good writers, but others who live in another galaxy.
Lefty - it always used to be acceptable "lefty". I had a subscription for years, but when they openly began supporting Hugo Chavez, that was IT!

Ngl 10 of 10 right. Some made me nervous tho, like the rose harissa, couldn'tidentify the molasses and pomegranate either, or the olive oil one.
Going to be quite variable for everyone depending on what’s popular in your countries culture (at the time it’s written). All of the questions are ingredients you would likely be familiar with if you were a foodie in the UK with the exception of the pasta which only one supermarket sells (Ocado) and hasn’t enjoyed it’s day in the sun yet.

Are you talking about Spanish or Mexican chorizo? The Mexican version is spreadable. Isn't the Spanish version a firm salami-type sausage?

CD
Have to disagree about Mexican chorizo being spreadable as all I've ever seen is like regular raw sausage in a casing. I suppose you could remove from casing, pulverize it and emulsify it more to make it spreadable, but I've never seen it come that way.

We do have a spreadable chorizo that comes from Spain purchased at a sort of exotic, high end cut meat place.

20230806_090246.jpg

all I've ever seen is like regular raw sausage in a casing.
We can buy it here either cased or uncased:

IMG_5279.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg

I usually buy the links and that way it’s already portioned out for me. I just uncase it as needed.

I’ll add that the Spanish-style chorizo is less common, but still pretty easily found. I can’t get it at my local smaller Kroger, for example, but the big Kroger 30 minutes away has it (Boar’s Head brand, I think), and the gourmet shop, about 45 minutes away has several, including some proper imported Spanish ones.

Cow poo?
Are you serious? I can assure you we in Italy are not used to eat or have product that smells like that.
I am.
But I live on a farm and milked cows for a few years so am very attuned to the very nuanced world of cow poo odours, some of them almost border on pleasan, although not quite 😆

I you can recommend some brands I‘d give it another go.

We can buy it here either cased or uncased:

View attachment 103229View attachment 103230

I usually buy the links and that way it’s already portioned out for me. I just uncase it as needed.
We can get it in bulk as well, besides other Latin American country's chorizo that are slightly different in flavor, but it's still not spreadable as it comes. The grind is too big and it will get a texture like ground beef once it's cooked if you use bulk or uncased. Again, you'd have to pulverize and emulsify to get to a spreadable consistency.

The spreadable chorizo we have is probably a bit finer in texture than Underwood deviled ham if I remember correctly since it's been a very long time since I've seen any. My dad loved that stuff.

We have the hard cured Spanish chorizo too, but that is a product I'm not fond of because of the texture.

Last edited:
Don't worry. The Guardian is famous for being (a) trendy (b) esoteric and (c) lefty.
Trendy - there'll always be the "latest" there, so nduja (which can be found in supermarkets in the UK) and pomegranate molasses (ibid) were clear entries. Strozzapretti may (just may) have appeared on Pasta Grannies.
Nduja, apparently, is a corruption of the French "andouille", although slightly different.
Esoteric - you're quite likely to get articles lamenting the lack of Vegan options on the Scilly Isles, how to make the perfect nettle soup or the huge popularity of apple and ricotta tart with basil leaves. They've got some good writers, but others who live in another galaxy.
Lefty - it always used to be acceptable "lefty". I had a subscription for years, but when they openly began supporting Hugo Chavez, that was IT!
On the plus side I did get the pasta one right, not because I knew the name but because the other choices weren't names of pasta. So by process of elimination........

Ngl 10 of 10 right. Some made me nervous tho, like the rose harissa, couldn'tidentify the molasses and pomegranate either, or the olive oil one.
I didn't know the olive oil one either but I got it right because the other two choices were clearly wrong. I have never heard of rose harissa. I don't even know if I would like it.

Back
Top Bottom