Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:50 AM
I was sitting around thinking about nothing in particular today and suddenly got a craving for a late-1980’s treat - Burger King Burger Bundles:

View: https://youtu.be/uMcaFPVwvZs

Burger King sliders - Wikipedia

I remember for one glorious summer, I lived on these little sliders, served in a sleeve of three, and they were delicious in their simplicity, and gone too soon.

What about you all, any food/snack/drink item that you enjoyed, but is no longer sold? Supermarket or restaurant, it doesn’t matter.

I get these as they are on special for 6 weeks.

Russ

They probably still make them, but Taco Bell when I was a teenager had bean, cheese, and lettuce tostados for .69 cent each. They aren't the same price anymore. So I miss the price more than I actually miss the food. Also, I remember an ad from the 1970s where you could get a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink and they stated you could still get change back from a dollar. I miss that I think.

A very firm favourite of mine was Haagen Dazs Double Choc Chip. No where near as sweet as the Belgian chocolate and the chocolate chips were a decent size. I could and frequently did eat an entire tub in a sitting...

Another was the diabetics custard that Boots the chemist (UK) sold. They stopped making it many years ago. I loved that one. Luckily I've found something almost as good to replace it.

And another, a couple of French chocolate items I used to get, one was a delicious chocolate powder that wasn't too sweet. Made by Nestle if I recall, in a red and brown stripped tin, but not available in the UK. And a chocolate truffle the size of a doorstop, Woolworths in the UK used to sell it, it was French and easily available in France, but only Woolworths sold it in the UK.

Finally there was a lemon flavoured mineral water I used to love when I was living in Germany (as a child)... I found and did drink it by the bottle.... it was the only dizzy drink I could actually drink.

They probably still make them, but Taco Bell when I was a teenager had bean, cheese, and lettuce tostados for .69 cent each.
Anyone remember when Taco Bell used to have a burger on their menu? I remember when the first one opened in our area in the 1970’s sometime, and they had a taco burger on the menu.

Anyone remember when Taco Bell used to have a burger on their menu? I remember when the first one opened in our area in the 1970’s sometime, and they had a taco burger on the menu.
Nope. I ate there in the late 70s but I never liked their meat. I tried a taco once there and hated it so I stuck with the beans. I can't imagine the burger was any good.

NZ dollars aren't the same as US dollars. Maybe that is why?

19 NZ dollars = $12 (approx)
12 NZ dollars = $7.50 (approx)
No. That's still expensive. Not insanely expensive, but much more than I'd be willing to pay.

I walk that back. I just went to the website for BK in my area, and shocked at the prices that they charge! No way would I pay for that!
I hadn't eaten at a fast food restaurant in many years and I think the last time I ate at one was a Chick-fil-A that my cousin owns, so I of course didn't pay for it and didn't notice the menu prices. Can't really compare it to a Burger King because it's been about 40 years since I have eaten at one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom