Apples galore

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:47 PM
My neighbour recently found out I love cooking. He is a gardener - I mean he gardens for other people as well as growing his own. So I'm now getting showered with produce! The latest glut is apples. I now have six kilos of apples! What to do with them all? I've made apple pies & apple tarts so far. There are still lots of kilos left.

All ideas appreciated.

German cuisine uses apples mixed in with more savory foods to create a nice sweet-and-sour flavor. The blind hen veg I made earlier and posted did that, and the apples were the surprise that put the dish over the top.

Apple with pork is also very common. I know I have some apple recipes around, I'll see what I can come up with. My wife is from apple country (upstate NY - Macintosh apples) and she'd eat apples morning, noon, and night.

Give me a day or so.

We get a lot here as well, our sons fave dessert is apple crumble so when we have extra I cook with sugar into batches for crumble. I like to have about 3 or 4 lots in the freezer. I don't mind apple pie either!.
Russ

Apples go well in rotkohl. My oma used to add them to schweinebraten and the "boiled dinner" sometimes.

Here's something that's not meant for eating, so I'll just post it here:

Simmer Spices

Have you ever walked into a home that smelled like autumn? Well, there's great news - you can easily recreate that crisp, cinnamon-spiked scent. Pick out your favorite fresh scents, like apple, cinnamon, orange, cranberry, and cloves. Slice up the apples, peel and slice the orange, and combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Fill the pan 3/4 of the way full of water and place on a low simmer. You can let this simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as needed

Idea courtesy of a magazine clipping, magazine unknown, so my apologies to the magazine overlords on that.

Here's something that's not meant for eating, so I'll just post it here:

Simmer Spices

Have you ever walked into a home that smelled like autumn? Well, there's great news - you can easily recreate that crisp, cinnamon-spiked scent. Pick out your favorite fresh scents, like apple, cinnamon, orange, cranberry, and cloves. Slice up the apples, peel and slice the orange, and combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Fill the pan 3/4 of the way full of water and place on a low simmer. You can let this simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water as needed

Idea courtesy of a magazine clipping, magazine unknown, so my apologies to the magazine overlords on that.

Do that for your next Open House, and bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Sold! Lol

Lucky you!
Make applesauce, sugar free. You can water bath can it ir freeze it. I love to substitute applesauce for butter or eggs. Or just eat it, I use it a lot in smoothies.

apple butter. we make jars and jars of it. It is quite simply just apples. I know you have cooker's there, but if you like them tart, that's great. We find several kilos will reduce down to about 6 jars so it is a fantastic way of using up kilos and kilos of apples. we serve it with porridge and with toast. In fact we had the last of our apple butter this morning with porridge.

apple butter. we make jars and jars of it. It is quite simply just apples. I know you have cooker's there, but if you like them tart, that's great. We find several kilos will reduce down to about 6 jars so it is a fantastic way of using up kilos and kilos of apples. we serve it with porridge and with toast. In fact we had the last of our apple butter this morning with porridge.

How does it differ from the Black Butter I'm making?

Back
Top Bottom