SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:40 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Aromatic Vegetable Pasties with yoghurt pastry

I got this recipe from the now defunct BBC Vegetarian Food Good magazine back somewhere in 1993. Originally hubby made them for us when we lived in the Lake District (England) and they have a story behind them. We didn't have a great kitchen in that old farmhouse. We had a small Baby Belling oven with 2 hot plate rings on the top. It wasn't particularly reliable but there was no mains water, sewage, gas, TV. Just a phone line and electricity. Hubby had made these pasties (8 of them) and then gone to work. He never tried them or tasted the filling (still doesn't! ). When he got home, he went to have one (I was by now at work), only to find out that there were none left. My mum, brother (4 years old) and sister (6 years old) had polished them off. I'd had 1 for lunch just before going to work, but 'my' second one, reserved for hubby, had been eaten by one of them. No-one ever owned up to eating it and he regularly reminds me about it with the line 'I just say Aromatic Vegetable Pasties'...

Ingredients
Filling

1/2 oz butter (can be omitted)
2 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp. extra if butter is omitted)
8 oz red onions
6oz potatoes diced (very small dices)
3 tsp ground coriander
1½ tsp ground cumin
4 oz frozen petit pois
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped

Pastry
8 oz butter (or dairy free marg)
2 tbsp olive oil
10 oz natural or plain soya yoghurt
20 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs

Method
  1. To make the filling, melt the butter and oil in a frying pan and cook the onions for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until they are just beginning to soften.
  2. Add the potatoes and cook for around 5-7 minutes until they are starting to soften.
  3. stir in the ground spices and cook for another minute, then add the frozen peas and remove from the heat. Add the min and leave until cool/cold. (I have found you can omit the cooling if in a rush!)
  4. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  5. To make the pastry, melt the butter in a pan and leave to cool.
  6. Whisk the egg in a bowl and stir in the yoghurt.
  7. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the melted butter/marg into the egg/yoghurt mixture a little at a time, until thoroughly blended.
  8. soft the flour, bicarb of soda and salt together and then gradually add the yoghurt mixture to form a soft dough (this is a really soft dough so take care!)
  9. turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed lightly for a few mins.
  10. Roll out the dough to a thickness of around 5mm (1/4 inch) and cut into circles of approx. 10cm diameter (a bowl is useful, or just bale to the traditional square approach of busy cooks everywhere!)
  11. Add enough mixture to half fill one of the circle/squares and fold over the pastry to form a semi-circle/triangle. press the edges firmly to seal.
  12. Place the pasties on the baking sheet and brush with egg yolk and bake for around 20 mins until golden brown.

Last edited:
Some photos...

They sound good. Who doesn't like a pasty? The filling is reminiscent of samosas (well more than reminiscent) but obviously the pastry is different. Does the yoghurt lend a 'tang' to the pastry?

And shouldn't this be an entry fot the current recipe challenge?

They sound good. Who doesn't like a pasty? The filling is reminiscent of samosas (well more than reminiscent) but obviously the pastry is different. Does the yoghurt lend a 'tang' to the pastry?

And shouldn't this be an entry fot the current recipe challenge?

Hum, I realise that there is no, I got the recipe from information... but I added it 8 years ago so I don't think it will come close to qualifying for the potato challenge, sadly.

I'll edit the original to give the source though.

Hum, I realise that there is no, I got the recipe from information... but I added it 8 years ago so I don't think it will come close to qualifying for the potato challenge, sadly.

View attachment 92088
I'll edit the original to give the source though.

Ooops! Didn't look at the date! That was even before I joined.

Back
Top Bottom