[AUS] - Woolworths pork, lamb and beef mince recalled

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:55 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK - this isn't going to affect anyone on here - I'm not aware of any members who are in this area, but all the same, I think food safety and recall notices should be posted online especially when metal fragments are involved.

The Food Standards Australia New Zealand released the warning, stating: “Woolworths Limited has recalled Australian pork, lamb and beef mince from Woolworths Singleton, (New South Wales - my addition) due to a packaging fault resulting in the presence of metal fragments.”

The statement also warned that “food products containing metal fragments may cause injury if consumed” and that “consumers should not eat this product”.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...eef-mince-recalled/ar-AAiVBHF?ocid=spartanntp

Don't worry, in the UK, they closed down. Here they are a major supermarket chain with petrol stations as well! Mind you there are very few supermarket chains in Australia. Woollies, Coles, IGA (trends to be smaller corner stores with higher prices but most likely to be found in villages and towns than the others are) and Aldi, so the choice isn't great but there are a lot of independent shops left in Australia. Woollies does (like Coles) do a lot of Australian own brands where it is produce grown only in Australia which is sold much cheaper than imported produce. But to me, a Brit, it is odd seeing them add a supermarket chain!

We have IGA's here too. They are sometimes under other names since here it stands for Independent Grocers Association.

Oh and we had Woolco, Wacker's and Strike It Rich as five and dimes.

We have IGA's here too. They are sometimes under other names since here it stands for Independent Grocers Association.

Oh and we had Woolco, Wacker's and Strike It Rich as five and dimes.
Or local 'town' and perhaps local should also be in quotes, is getting a Super IGA in February which may make life easier. Whilst they are not cheap, the range of fresh produce in the super ones is excellent and the additional weekly cost for shopping there would really off set the cost of a 100km round trip to do the weekly shopping! But they would need to stock a good selection of stiff for us to be able to shop there every week. It will be interesting to see if the isles are wide enough for a wheelchair with ease, currently they are not and stabled high on shelving most of the stuff I can't see let alone reach. Somehow the new woollies has it worked out much better for wheelchairs.

Oh you mentioned blue for handicapped the other day. I guess that is the international color because our stuff is also blue.

Curiously in new south Wales, Australia it isn't and is not called a disabled badge in Australia at all. It's a mobility badge! But the cat parking spaces are still painted on the tarmac with a white wheelchair sign on a large blue back ground and the bay itself had yellow road mains not the usual white. In multi-storey cat parks that are modern enough to tell you how many spaces left, they have blue lights over the disabled bays (been indicates normal empty bays and red occupied normal bays).

Or local 'town' and perhaps local should also be in quotes, is getting a Super IGA in February which may make life easier. Whilst they are not cheap, the range of fresh produce in the super ones is excellent and the additional weekly cost for shopping there would really off set the cost of a 100km round trip to do the weekly shopping! But they would need to stock a good selection of stiff for us to be able to shop there every week. It will be interesting to see if the isles are wide enough for a wheelchair with ease, currently they are not and stabled high on shelving most of the stuff I can't see let alone reach. Somehow the new woollies has it worked out much better for wheelchairs.
Here in the US, a few years backseveral businesses and the local colleges had to reorganize their stores and adjust a few other things to comply with the American Disabilities Act.
I was a special population helper at the time and was having wrist problems. It was rather interesting to find out that even restroom doors had to have their hydraulics set to a certain level to make sure everyone could open them. "My hands were perfect to detect when the hydraulics had gotten off by just a bit."
The maintenance guy took my complaint seriously and asked me to please check all the restroom doors I walked by because I was more sensitive than their fancy machine.
They also had to make sure wheelchairs could be pushed through every door with no problems if the pusher was smaller than the pushee.

Yeh, wheelchairs and doors are interesting at best.. Australia seems to have doors sorted better than the UK. But it's drops down off pavements whilst gradients are that steep my wheelchair get always catch and there is no way I could manage them myself! I love Ikea for their approach. I press a button and the door slices open, if the light is on green. Press a button on the otherwise and it does close and locks at the same time. It makes life so much easier. But the emergency option is a button around waist height. If you are on the floor and can't reach, you are stuck. The button is called 'duress'! Which is so sweet....

Yeh, wheelchairs and doors are interesting at best.. Australia seems to have doors sorted better than the UK. But it's drops down off pavements whilst gradients are that steep my wheelchair get always catch and there is no way I could manage them myself! I love Ikea for their approach. I press a button and the door slices open, if the light is on green. Press a button on the otherwise and it does close and locks at the same time. It makes life so much easier. But the emergency option is a button around waist height. If you are on the floor and can't reach, you are stuck. The button is called 'duress'! Which is so sweet....
Here most grocery stores have automatic doors. And nearly all stores in most states are required by fire codes to have unlocked doors during business hours. Some high end stores are exempt.

Here most grocery stores have automatic doors.
Sorry, I didn't clarify - that was a response to toilets... Ikea have sliding doors on the disabled toilets. In the UK you still have to pull open the door... Most new places here have automatic doors for shop entrances but sometimes the angles can be wrong so that under a certain height if you have approached it too closely from the side, you don't trigger it and it is most amusing watching kids unable to get into the shopping centre because the came in from the wall and the trigger does not see them! (sorry I shouldn't laugh but... :laugh:)

I can see where sliding doors could be a help. The way most are designed really don't work well.

Back
Top Bottom