Recipe Bakalar na bijelo (Salt cod white stew)

That looks like a very good piece of cod! Looks softened already...
My previous mental image was always this dried stick version. It runs at 35 Usd per kg.
View attachment 61272

Now, I’m wondering if I need to soak it for the full three days. As you mentioned, this is a high-quality piece of fish, and is not dried nearly the way this one is.

Now, I’m wondering if I need to soak it for the full three days. As you mentioned, this is a high-quality piece of fish, and is not dried nearly the way this one is.
Hm...🤔good question. It looked rehydrated at the photo you posted.
Probably not 3 days...
My gut says One day in this case, maybe one and a half...
What would you say?
Other Cb members?

Hm...🤔good question. It looked rehydrated at the photo you posted.
Probably not 3 days...
My gut says One day in this case, maybe one and a half...
What would you say?
Other Cb members?

What did yours feel like after 3 days? Close to what a fresh fish feels like? I am going to check the consistency later tonight.

Oh how stunning! I will read the link...so does this indicate that the cod is transported to the country and then salted?/cured?
I always imagined it was imported as is...
Or maybe there are different processes from different factories/producers and they have their customers?
That is very interesting!!
I think is your second supposition, cause here the label doesn't indicate anything about the long of the process and the most of the sal cod has the same curing point.

What did yours feel like after 3 days? Close to what a fresh fish feels like? I am going to check the consistency later tonight.
It looks rehydrated, and it's not very thick. You need to put it in much more water the next time, and better if the water is cold. Just take a pinch of it and taste it. Since it was salted, it will have not a bad taste (in fact, I love that taste) and you will know if you have to leave it more or not. The consistency looks ok. The point of salt is the point to check now. And it also depends on how many times you changed the water.

It looks rehydrated, and it's not very thick. You need to put it in much more water the next time, and better if the water is cold. Just take a pinch of it and taste it. Since it was salted, it will have not a bad taste (in fact, I love that taste) and you will know if you have to leave it more or not. The consistency looks ok. The point of salt is the point to check now. And it also depends on how many times you changed the water.

It seems to be there now, but the flesh is still a little bit stiff. I will change the water and let it soak some more.

It seems to be there now, but the flesh is still a little bit stiff. I will change the water and let it soak some more.

It still will be stiff until you cook it, when it will soften somewhat. It doesn't reconstitute to the texture of fresh cod. Even when cooked it is a firmer texture.

I think the 3 day soak is probably not necessary. A lot of recipes suggest an overnight soak only.

It still will be stiff until you cook it, when it will soften somewhat. It doesn't reconstitute to the texture of fresh cod. Even when cooked it is a firmer texture.

I think the 3 day soak is probably not necessary. A lot of recipes suggest an overnight soak only.
Thank you. I will drain the cod now, and likely prepare the recipe later today. :okay:

E4FD1626-B1B6-4229-8245-36D61463274D.jpeg

I made this just now, and I am really happy with the results. It sounds like I had the same impression that Morning Glory had: it's nicely flavored, and not too salty. Thank you for posting this recipe!

The only thing I added to the ingredients list was a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning. This is something I love using with any seafood, since it enhances the flavor nicely.

I also made small adjustments to the process, too, since it seems clear that the piece of salted cod I have is a different consistency from the one you had. This is an absolutely gorgeous piece of fish (actually, there were two fillets, both equally great). Not only is the flesh high-quality, but they even went so far as to remove all the bones for me.

1. The soak. I only soaked it for two days, but I did change the water periodically.

2. I cooked it for half an hour, starting with cold water, as above.

3. Since my cod was already cleaned thoroughly by the fishmonger, all I needed to do was break it up a bit and check to see if they missed anything. They didn’t.

4. Rather than using part of the water for the potatoes and part for the final product, I boiled the potatoes for 10 minutes in all of the water from step 2. I then scooped out the potato chunks with a slotted spoon, and reserved the water for the final product.

5. I decided to sauté all of the garlic and parsley in the pot. Then, I added the potatoes, and finally the fish. I did follow the tradition of rocking the pot to simulate a rocking boat.

6. I ended up with 5 cups of fish water, and I put four into the pot with everything else. It turned out to have the perfect consistency.

Last edited:
View attachment 61591
I made this just now, and I am really happy with the results. It sounds like I had the same impression that Morning Glory had: it's nicely flavored, and not too salty. Thank you for posting this recipe!

The only thing I added to the ingredients list was a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning. This is something I love using with any seafood, since it enhances the flavor nicely.

I also made small adjustments to the process, too, since it seems clear that the piece of salted cod I have is a different consistency from the one you had. This is an absolutely gorgeous piece of fish (actually, there were two fillets, both equally great). Not only is the flesh high-quality, but they even went so far as to remove all the bones for me.

1. The soak. I only soaked it for two days, but I did change the water periodically.

View attachment 61589

View attachment 61588

3. Since my cod was already cleaned thoroughly by the fishmonger, all I needed to do was break it up a bit and check to see if they missed anything. They didn’t.

4. Rather than using part of the water for the potatoes and part for the final product, I boiled the potatoes for 10 minutes in all of the water from step 2. I then scooped out the potato chunks with a slotted spoon, and reserved the water for the final product.

5. I decided to sauté all of the garlic and parsley in the pot. Then, I added the potatoes, and finally the fish. I did follow the tradition of rocking the pot to simulate a rocking boat.

View attachment 61587

6. I ended up with 5 cups of fish water, and I put four into the pot with everything else. It turned out to have the perfect consistency.

Glad it turned out! Note the starfish copycat touch.

I also made small adjustments to the process, too, since it seems clear that the piece of salted cod I have is a different consistency from the one you had.

Not sure if you were referring to me or Timenspace when you wrote that the cod had a different consistency - but I don't think this was Timenspace's own recipe (I mean I don't think she cooked it?).

Anyway - you did a grand job and did you also think, like me, that the potatoes had loads of flavour?

View attachment 61591

View attachment 61589

View attachment 61588

View attachment 61587

Nice and different interpretation of the recipe. More soup. I like it too. Any olive oil?
One of the fillets looks from the fish tail, the other one from an upper part of the cod. Good work. Congratulations

Last edited:
but I don't think this was @Timenspace's own recipe (I mean I don't think she cooked it?).
True, I merely transferred the traditional Croatian (one if many) ways of cooking the cod that I like a lot...to the forum...
I never cooked it myself. As mentioned in the recipe😊
I have learned so much through all of you! Makes me proud.

Back
Top Bottom