Recipe Bakalar na bijelo (Salt cod white stew)

Oh and I think this was a good move! Sequence is so important! Sounds excellent. Did your family taste it too?
Not yet...I am the only one home at the moment (I made this while attending a meeting, something I could not have done a little over a year ago, since I would have been in the office).

Nice int

Nice and different interpretation of the recipe. More soup. I like it too. Any olive oil?
One of the fillets looks from the fish tail, the other one from an upper part of the cod. Good work. Congratulations
Oh, yes...I used olive oil during the sauté, but I didn't add any later. I like the taste as-is, but I will try drizzling some on for the second bowl.

And, you could be right about my cod: if I had tried sticking them together, end-to-end, I might have seen it was part of the same fish.

Oh, yes...I used olive oil during the sauté, but I didn't add any later. I like the taste as-is, but I will try drizzling some on for the second bowl.

And, you could be right about my cod: if I had tried sticking them together, end-to-end, I might have seen it was part of the same fish.
Well done, for this recipe the tail of the fish is ok.

I made the video about the salt cod and the emulsified sauce, trying to integrate it in the original recipe of this thread. So I tried just to combine the two recipes, the one which is this thread about and other traditional recipe from here which has that emulsion I thought at first you were talking about.
Thanks to my daughter for filming the video and to Morning Glory too for checking it and helping me with me the subtitles.

View: https://youtu.be/oONNwOG299Y

. So I tried just to combine the two recipes, the one which is this thread about and other traditional recipe from here which has that emulsion I thought at first you were talking about.
That is fantastic! Oh I can't wait to watch it!
Kid and I study history for her test tomorrow, so as soon as I can, will...
👏👍👍👍
Wonderful true team work! Well done!
How old is your daughter?

I made the video about the salt cod and the emulsified sauce, trying to integrate it in the original recipe of this thread. So I tried just to combine the two recipes, the one which is this thread about and other traditional recipe from here which has that emulsion I thought at first you were talking about.
Thanks to my daughter for filming the video and to Morning Glory too for checking it and helping me with me the subtitles.

This is a lovely clear video and I now see quite clearly what you meant by emulsifying the sauce. Your plating is beautiful. Its a difficult dish to present with elegance and you have achieved it!

To be clear, you are using pre-soaked skin on (bone in?) dried salt cod here? I only ask because it is so chunky that it looks almost fresh. The salt cod I buy looks very skinny in comparison. I wondered if you had used some fresh fillets which you salted yourself for a few hours, to firm up.

That is beautiful! Looks top and surely tastes top.
It seems it is important to separately do the cod and potatoes. I think last year's cod had the potatoes cooked in, the soup felt starchy, but it was good. Don't mind ...

And the emulsion you got is supreme! Plating impeccable.
And the music and scenery are so enjoyable!
I could eat this every day, not just once a year.
💙💙

This is a lovely clear video and I now see quite clearly what you meant by emulsifying the sauce. Your plating is beautiful. Its a difficult dish to present with elegance and you have achieved it!

To be clear, you are using pre-soaked skin on (bone in?) dried salt cod here? I only ask because it is so chunky that it looks almost fresh. The salt cod I buy looks very skinny in comparison. I wondered if you had used some fresh fillets which you salted yourself for a few hours, to firm up.
Thank you very much.

I used dried salt cod. I found that the salt cod is not sold the same presentation in all countries. Here you can find it very thick (up to 6 cm) and very white, less cured than in other places, I guess it's a matter of taste. This one was not really chunky (a bit more than 3 cm thicker). maybe it looks thicker cause the base of the wok is only 15cm diameter. The pic on the left is the one I have at home. The one on the right is thicker, but both are dried salted cods, and not still soaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is beautiful! Looks top and surely tastes top.
It seems it is important to separately do the cod and potatoes. I think last year's cod had the potatoes cooked in, the soup felt starchy, but it was good. Don't mind ...

And the emulsion you got is supreme! Plating impeccable.
And the music and scenery are so enjoyable!
I could eat this every day, not just once a year.
💙💙
Many thanks. It turned out to be a very interesting and funny thread.

I used dried salt cod. I found that the salt cod is not sold the same presentation in all countries. Here you can find it very thick (up to 6 cm) and very white, less cured than in other places, I guess it's a matter of taste. This one was not really chunky (a bit more than 3 cm thicker). maybe it looks thicker cause the base of the wok is only 15cm diameter. The pic on the left is the one I have at home. The one on the right is thicker, but both are dried salted cods, and not still soaked.

Thnks for the info.

They salt cod I've found here is much less chunky. I'll have to search around a bit and see if I can obtain something more like the ones pictured. Salt cod isn't easily found in the UK unless you happen to live near an Afro Caribbean market.

Back
Top Bottom