SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:30 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
These are a gluten-free autumnal savoury scone ready for dunking into soups & stews.
I'm drawn to these not because they are gluten-free but simply because I love the taste of buckwheat and it's a great use of the almond meal left over if you make your own almond milk

Ingredients
100g ground almonds/almond meal
100g buckwheat flour
100g rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
100-150ml unsweetened almond (or soy) milk
1 large egg (or 2 smaller sized eggs)

Method
  1. Preheat an oven to 200°C (or get your griddle medium hot- you can cook these as griddle scones)
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together
  3. Beat the egg & milk together
  4. Add ¾'s of the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly. Add extra until you get a wettish, sticky dough. It needs to be wet enough to hold together very easily but dry enough to just had its shape when on a baking sheet.
  5. Scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured (buckwheat or rice will do) surface, shape into a round roughly 3-4 cm high and cut into quarters or sixths.
  6. transfer either to a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or transfer to the griddle, and turn over (carefully) at 15mins then cook for another 15mins. You can 'glaze' with a tad of egg & milk if there is any over.
Variations include adding grated cheese & mustard powder (to enhance the cheese) to make a cheese version, if you can eat dairy. I'm also reckoning there will work well with that vegan halloumi I found recently, grated of course.

Last edited:
Buckwheat is a terrific, underutilized grain. And, since we've had the whole nut-vs-seed-vs-whatever discussion, I had to look up what buckwheat actually is:

Buckwheat belongs to a group of foods commonly called pseudocereals. Pseudocereals are seeds that are consumed as cereal grains but don't grow on grasses. Other common pseudocereals include quinoa and amaranth. Despite its name, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is thus gluten-free.

I had to look up what buckwheat actually is
When I hear "buckwheat," I'm instantly transported back to my '70's childhood and this product:

Complete with artificial maple flavour! How strange to announce that so prominently on the front of the pack.
You'll probably laugh at this, but see that macho hunk o' beefcake in the top corner? When I was a kid, I said to myself, "Self, that's the epitome of manhood right there. Tousled hair, off-white Action Suit...one day, if you eat your Buc Wheats, you will BE THAT MAN!!!" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom