Butter Chicken/murgh makhani origins and different ingredients

Slightly off topic but talking of taste opportunity in curry, have you or karadekoolaid come across stone flower? I discovered it fairly recently and its adds quite a different and intriguing dimension. Its also known as dagar phool or kalpasi.
I've never seen it here in the Indian markets and don't recall coming across it in a recipe and I do have quite a few good Indian cookbooks. I'll keep my eyes open, I'm intrigued.

One of the best kitchen appliances I´ve got is a cuisinart spice grinder. Unbelievable - from whole, toasted spices to powder in seconds. Maybe that´s the difference when making my garam masala - although I totally agree with you that each region may well have a different version.

One of the best kitchen appliances I´ve got is a cuisinart spice grinder. Unbelievable - from whole, toasted spices to powder in seconds. Maybe that´s the difference when making my garam masala - although I totally agree with you that each region may well have a different version.

I'm thinking I should start a new thread about spice grinders...

I've never seen it here in the Indian markets and don't recall coming across it in a recipe and I do have quite a few good Indian cookbooks. I'll keep my eyes open, I'm intrigued.

I never saw it in a printed recipe either, but this is a really lovely thing if you love aromatics. Its a lichen. Maybe you can get it on line? That's the only way I can get it.

I used it here: Recipe Curried Beans with Black Stone Flower

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom