Christmas 2022

the US doesn’t really recognize a lot of those protections. For example, I can get dirt-cheap Gouda slices under the Kroger brand that definitely aren’t from The Netherlands. They’re probably from a cheese factory in New Jersey!
Yes, that´s probably true. Just as you are a pizza fanatic, I am a cheese fanatic. I could eat cheese all day long, every day. One thing I have discovered about American cheese is that it´s rich and creamy, sometimes very, triple-creamy. However, I´ve yet to try an American "Cheddar", for example, that even comes close to a mature English cheddar, and the mature Gouda is the same when compared to the Dutch version. American blue cheese (or if you´re trendy " bleu" cheese) is the same. A very much watered down version of its European counterparts. Not a criticism; just an observation. This might be because unpasteurised cheese is not permitted in the US, or simply because the American public prefers creamier, rather than sharper, or more acid flavours. I bought some "extra sharp matured Wisconsin Cheddar" the other day, and it was more akin ot Sainsbury´s mild. I tried some Trader Joe´s Blue Cheese, and "blue" was no more than the colour. Any French style cheese I´ve eaten (brie, camembert, reblochon, etc) has been exceedingly creamy, but without that extra "bite" I´d expect in Europe.
Interesting...

Thanks! You've just reminded me that we need to remember to get some Stilton.
I grew up in Stilton country so we ate it year round :hungry: and since we've moved away I really miss the Long Clawson white Stilton...even our local farm shop which has a cheese room doesn't stock it :( I may try to buy some online this year.

Talking from a European perspective....Porto is the name of the city, Port is the name of the wine. I don't think I've ever seen Port sold as "Porto" over here (and it sounds really odd to me). Port is protected by the PDO designation so if its not produced in the Douro valley it simply cannot be called "Port" at all.....probably why there is no need to try to distinguish between genuine Port and other fortified wines.

Interestingly, if you go to the city of Porto you'll not actually find many of the Port houses.....they're just over the river in Villa Nova de Gaia. But I guess that wasn't so catchy a name :wink:
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.13.29 PM.jpg

CD

Yeah, but that’s my point, the US doesn’t really recognize a lot of those protections. For example, I can get dirt-cheap Gouda slices under the Kroger brand that definitely aren’t from The Netherlands. They’re probably from a cheese factory in New Jersey!

I’m hitting the store today, I’ll show you what I mean.
Well that's unfortunate for US residents then, I value the origin protection very much because it ensures a certain quality standard that's incomparable.

Am I getting into the year end holiday spirit? I bought a Poinsetta plant on December 2nd. I even looked at fake Christmas trees - if i get one I want one that comes un-lit. The only one they had at Home Despot looked faker than Velveeta "cheese".

So I settled on the Pointsetta. I'll debate about a real tree later this month.

I do have to start writing up the cards, though!

When I was in Houston at Thanksgiving, I found some beautiful poinsettias at H-E-B for 10 bucks each. I bought two of them, one for the dining table of my mom's apartment, and one for in the sitting area of my dad's room.

CD

This might be because unpasteurised cheese is not permitted in the US, or simply because the American public prefers creamier, rather than sharper, or more acid flavours.

Both of those things, probably. Milder and creamier flavors of cheese probably outsell sharper cheeses five-to-one here. It is what we grew up with, so it is what tastes "right" to us.

Growing up in the US, blue or bleu cheese was referred to as Roquefort, which is one of the earliest blue cheeses. Now you see it mostly referred to as bleu cheese. It is most often used here as a cheese to crumble on a salad. I rarely see Stilton here, but I don't often look for it. I have heard that Stilton snobs insist on it being from un-pasteurized milk. I'm a Porto snob, not a cheese snob. :laugh:

CD

I note what they say about substitutions - but its a poor state of affairs if they don't have breakfast tea (was it breakfast tea?) available. Even Morrison's supermarket wouldn't substitute that with Earl Grey in a delivery...

Yeah, that was not a good substitution. They probably saw it was going to an American, and didn't realize it was TastyReuben, who is more British than some brits. :laugh:

CD

Yep Sandemans is on the riverfront in Villa Nova de Gaia, I preferred Taylors further up the hill though:
3024_crop_1589212175.jpg

Well that's unfortunate for US residents then, I value the origin protection very much because it ensures a certain quality standard that's incomparable.
I totally agree....and not only for the quality standard but it also helps protect the traditional production methods and knowledge. Many of the products with PDO/PGI status are higher cost because they aren't suitable for mass production and the associated economies of scale.

Yep Sandemans is on the riverfront in Villa Nova de Gaia, I preferred Taylors further up the hill though:
View attachment 93381

I totally agree....and not only for the quality standard but it also helps protect the traditional production methods and knowledge. Many of the products with PDO/PGI status are higher cost because they aren't suitable for mass production and the associated economies of scale.

My favorite brand is Taylor Fladgate (what it is sold as here). Although, I prefer a ruby to a tawny. I don't like the oaky flavor of the tawny.

1670412614269.jpeg

CD

My favorite brand is Taylor Fladgate (what it is sold as here). Although, I prefer a ruby to a tawny. I don't like the oaky flavor of the tawny.

I like most types of Port though we rarely drink vintage (because there are only two of us, and it needs to be drunk within a day or two of opening) but a nice LBV after dinner is enjoyable for special occasions. I quite like a tawny served chilled (but no ice!) as an aperitif, and in the summer white or rosé also works well.

Given the lack of protection for the name, I guess the Portuguese Port houses decided to use the name "Porto" in the US to distinguish themselves. How do the Prosecco or Champagne houses do this? Do they even bother?

Its interesting to compare the Taylors English-US website to the English one:
English: Taylor Fladgate Port - Since 1692 making the finest Port wineen/port-wine/quinta-de-vargellas-vintage
English-US: Taylor Fladgate Port - Since 1692 making the finest Port wineus/port-wine/quinta-de-vargellas-vintage
It looks like the text is identical, but the pictures of the bottles (and obviously the name) are different for most of them, though there are a few bottles on the US version where the photos show the bottles named "Port" rather than "Porto".

Back
Top Bottom