Contentious thread, Herb and Spice racks, like fancy Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar bottles

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
9:50 PM
In my opinion it's more self aggrandizing kitchen design than cooking. I have a big drawer for my herbs and spices. Oooh darling you use saffron.

1601620080870.png

I've never understood spice racks in domestic kitchens. Herbs and spices keep better in the dark. We keep our in cupboards. Sometimes we can actually find them when we need them.

In my opinion it's more self aggrandizing kitchen design than cooking. I have a big drawer for my herbs and spices. Oooh darling you use saffron.

At the risk of being "self aggrandizing," I have a spice rack in my pantry. I keep the door closed, so it is dark.

But, clearly I care more about kitchen design than cooking. That's why I joined this kitchen design forum. :headshake:

CD

I have a spice rack.....its a convenient way to store the herbs and spices I use most often. Its fastened to the inside of a cupboard door - so its both dark and out of sight. It also uses up space that wouldn't otherwise be used :okay:

TJYIWvim.jpg

I also have a drawer with the rest of them, and a cupboard with even more....I really want more spice racks but they don't make them any more :cry:

I have a spice rack.....its a convenient way to store the herbs and spices I use most often. Its fastened to the inside of a cupboard door - so its both dark and out of sight. It also uses up space that wouldn't otherwise be used :okay:

View attachment 47431

I also have a drawer with the rest of them, and a cupboard with even more....I really want more spice racks but they don't make them any more :cry:

A good way to use unused kitchen real estate. :thumbsup:

I had an empty space on a wall in my pantry, so I built my spice rack. I think it is better than a drawer, because I can see everything at a glance.

CD

Here is a picture of my self aggrandizing spice rack.

View attachment 47434

Not all of my spices and herbs fit, but these are the ones I use a lot. I have more on the pantry shelves.

CD
That’s how my shelves would look - I am a bit CDO, but my wife is exactly the opposite. Drives me nuts trying to find things only to discover they’ve moved to a different shelf, or even a different cupboard. Wouldn't change a thing though :)

One of the productive and useful things I did early on in The Lockdown was to tidy and reorganise my kitchen cupboards so I'd have more room
I spread out my jars & packets of herbs & spices so I could see what I had, and yes, I did throw out a couple
But when I came to put them back in my carefully reorganised cupboard shelves I found I didn't have room for them anymore........

So they've been out on the bench top since about March. I really must do something about them

Ours are kept in small amounts on the refrigerator in magnetic jars that I put together myself, as the cost was prohibitive to buy them ready made considering the number we needed. There's a picture somewhere but I'll have to find it.

BTW, spices don't have to be kept in complete darkness, just out of direct sunlight and not in a hot spot, like next to the stove/oven.

self aggrandizing ............... don't all of us use herbs and spices, do's it matter where we keep them.

self aggrandizing
promoting oneself as being powerful or important.
"he spoke in typically self-aggrandizing fashion about his gift"

Some of my spices are in a spice rack (that closes like a small cupboard) and some are in the cupboard next to the stove.

We also have 4 plastic boxes that hold spices not on the refrigerator, as well as a shelf in the pantry that holds restaurant sized jars of spices we use a lot. I have been seriously thinking about going through the 4 boxes and alphabetizing them so we don't have to search through them.

I've given up on finding herbs or spices, I have two trays, I start there first, then the pantry, then the Indian box of stuff. I try to keep extras in another pantry. We have two pantries inside and two in the garage. I'll put pics up soon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom