Cooking Shows

Watched a "Chopped" episode late last night. The must use appetizer ingredients were Kinomi leaves, buffalo potato tots, chicken hearts and Raspberry wasabi. Wow.

Always kills me on Beat Bobby Flay that no matter what the challenger picks for the challenge, they have it. Also how everybody on cooking competition shows everyone finishes just as the time expires
I've seen many where they didn't get all of the food on the plate in time, with one or more judges receiving an incomplete dish.

I am into "Chopped" now. Loving the weird food twist(s) in the contestant's baskets and am continuously amazed at what they come up with and prepare. Awhile ago, one DD and I were into "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsey. That show was more for kicks and his pretentious chewing out of the Chefs in competition. I have found myself turning on the Barefoot Contessa i.e. Ina Garten as well as "Giada" and "Beat Bobby Flay." I have also watched "Worst Cooks in America" and "Guy's Grocery Games." Each one fulfills a different reason for me watching. Loving it. How about you?
I love this thread! I used to watch "Chopped" regularly and found it very interesting. I watched "Hell's Kitchen" a few times but never really got into it. My sister loves it, though. Barefoot Contessa has some decent food and it's always pretty, but she sometimes seems pretentious to me. Giada is all teeth, LOL, but I do like her food. My FIL likes her cleavage, hahah! "Beat Bobby Flay" is always fun when he loses. I groan when he wins, but yeah, he is pretty gracious either way. I haven't watched "Worst Cooks" in awhile, are they still showing any reruns? "Guy's Grocery Games" catches me sometimes when I am in the mood. Always love "DDD", interesting to see how cooks and chefs across the country do things.

I love this thread! I used to watch "Chopped" regularly and found it very interesting. I watched "Hell's Kitchen" a few times but never really got into it. My sister loves it, though. Barefoot Contessa has some decent food and it's always pretty, but she sometimes seems pretentious to me. Giada is all teeth, LOL, but I do like her food. My FIL likes her cleavage, hahah! "Beat Bobby Flay" is always fun when he loses. I groan when he wins, but yeah, he is pretty gracious either way. I haven't watched "Worst Cooks" in awhile, are they still showing any reruns? "Guy's Grocery Games" catches me sometimes when I am in the mood. Always love "DDD", interesting to see how cooks and chefs across the country do things.
I can only take Guy F for so long. Every single show he says go and nobody moves. What a load of crap. Staged

Always kills me on Beat Bobby Flay that no matter what the challenger picks for the challenge, they have it. Also how everybody on cooking competition shows everyone finishes just as the time expires

I have seen one episode where the contestant continued to season his plates for a few seconds after time was out. He was out. I have also seen incomplete plates. Bobby Flay's kitchen as well as Chopped's are stocked with everything you could imagine including plates and utensils.

I've seen many where they didn't get all of the food on the plate in time, with one or more judges receiving an incomplete dish.

I've seen the occasional late person in competitions... but no one who finished with five minutes to spare. Every last one is down to the wire (with occasionally beyond).

The exact reason I hate Ramsay. Can you imagine rick stein screaming the f word.?

Russ

And Ramsey has calmed down quite a bit, at least in public. The first couple seasons of Hell's Kitchen were WAAAY worse with the name calling, cussing and derogatory comments, especially toward females. I stopped watching after a few episodes, then eventually due to boredom started watching some later seasons. He's also quite different toward the Master Chef contestants, though there has been some gossip about behind the scenes goings on with attractive females.

And Ramsey has calmed down quite a bit, at least in public. The first couple seasons of Hell's Kitchen were WAAAY worse with the name calling, cussing and derogatory comments, especially toward females. I stopped watching after a few episodes, then eventually due to boredom started watching some later seasons. He's also quite different toward the Master Chef contestants, though there has been some gossip about behind the scenes goings on with attractive females.

He's nice with the Masterchef Juniors. No cussing but more than that, he seriously treats them like human beings who are there to learn. I think he likes kids. (As a friend, not in any other way...) He's fun with his own children.

And yes, he's better with the Masterclass adults than he was on Hell's Kitchen, which got rather annoying. Were I his line cook or sous chef, I'd have walked. Some levels of stress are good - but Hell's Kitchen took it to some levels I saw in Kitchen Nightmares... where he was not happy if the people in the restaurant could hear the yelling in the kitchen but on Hell's Kitchen, it was part of the schtick.

He's nice with the Masterchef Juniors. No cussing but more than that, he seriously treats them like human beings who are there to learn. I think he likes kids. (As a friend, not in any other way...) He's fun with his own children.

And yes, he's better with the Masterclass adults than he was on Hell's Kitchen, which got rather annoying. Were I his line cook or sous chef, I'd have walked. Some levels of stress are good - but Hell's Kitchen took it to some levels I saw in Kitchen Nightmares... where he was not happy if the people in the restaurant could hear the yelling in the kitchen but on Hell's Kitchen, it was part of the schtick.

I worked in an Italian restaurant where the owner/chef was verbally abusive to everyone. His son did everything in the kitchen from being the sous chef to washing dishes. I saw this owner punch his son in the face once and knock him down the back steps. It's no wonder that the son hated his father. Oh, and he was also verbally abusive to female employees who were pretty and rebuffed his advances. He liked girls between 18-24 or so. I was too old for him at 27 (he was in his 50s) so he didn't make advances to me.

Back
Top Bottom