Recipe Cubano Peppers Stuffed with Shrimp, Shiitake and Capers

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:44 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
A pleasantly tasty dish. You can use any type of pepper – you will need to adjust the amount of stuffing depending on the size of pepper you plan to stuff. Cubanos aren’t large. So, for larger peppers, double or even triple the stuffing portion of this recipe. Or – hey – extra stuffing can always be quickly pan-fried for general enjoyment, anyway.

cubano.jpg

For this sort of recipe, I enjoy stuffing Cubanos or Poblanos. Both have just a bit more kick than regular bell peppers – but not enough to annoy most people who don’t deal well with spice/heat. If you don’t have access to either pepper or prefer not to use, a decent red or orange bell pepper is also tasty. You may need more stuffing, and to bake an additional five minutes due to their typical larger size..

Since there are no grains nor pseudo-grains in this stuffing, these ingredients are not going to expand. So push down and stuff away to your heart’s content! Serve as appetizers or as a side dish.

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: Frying: 10 minutes. Baking: 25 minutes.
Rest Time: Not necessary.
Serves: Stuffs two Cubano peppers.
Leftovers: Why not?

Cubano Peppers Stuffed with Shrimp, Shiitake and Capers

INGREDIENTS:

Scale up as needed ~

• 1/2 pound / 230 grams shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed. (1/3 pound or so of button mushrooms may be used instead, keeping the stems), tear or cut into small fragments.
  • About 0.4 pounds / 180 grans of shrimp, completely de-shelled, deveined. Cut into small pieces approximately 1/4 inches / 0,5 cm.
  • 1 tablespoon, more or less, drained capers.
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika, preferably smoked – either hot or mild.
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil.
METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 350 F / 180 C.

Cut the tops from the Cubano peppers, pull out the seeds. Discard tops and seeds.

In a small skillet, add a little cooking oil, and pan fry the mushrooms until the juices run out, 5-10 minutes at medium heat.

Remove the cooked mushrooms to a bowl. In this bowl add all the additional ingredients. Mix gently, with your hands.

Stuff the peppers compactly with the stuffing mixture.

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

Enjoy! (While a knife and fork is certainly of use, I ended up eating one of these in the manner of an ice cream cone – by hand.)

cubano-logo.jpg

Round here they aren't called any of the above as they are not available... at least they don't seem to be.

Round here they aren't called any of the above as they are not available... at least they don't seem to be.
I just looked at Ocado, and they somewhat look like what Ocado has listed as Romano peppers or generically as pointed peppers. I don’t know if that’s exactly the same, though.

It’s the same pepper I used in the pic I posted for my pepper boats.

I just looked at Ocado, and they somewhat look like what Ocado has listed as Romano peppers or generically as pointed peppers. I don’t know if that’s exactly the same, though.

It’s the same pepper I used in the pic I posted for my pepper boats.

Oh! I have Romano peppers in the fridge (bought from Ocado). They are very long peppers. I mean about 7 inches long. They are certainly not in any way spicy. They taste like bell peppers really.

Back
Top Bottom