Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters
This prompted me to look this up. I can't believe I didn't think to do this until just now, but now I know that movie theater butter...has no butter in it. According to the article (and other sources):

it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (aka trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring.

Yikes.
And yet...it tastes sooooo good... 😋

I could drink that stuff.

I once had a turkey fryer, but I gave it away, on account that too much oil is needed to use it. And it takes too long to use up the leftover oil for other things, as it could spoil before it is all used up.:whistling:

Last edited:
This prompted me to look this up. I can't believe I didn't think to do this until just now, but now I know that movie theater butter...has no butter in it. According to the article (and other sources):

it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (aka trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring.

Yikes.

I seriously didn't know it was THAT bad! I just knew it tasted and stank badly.

I seriously didn't know it was THAT bad! I just knew it tasted and stank badly.

I never even knew about that. Thanks, Mountain Cat!! Not that I eat theater popcorn, but it's off my list of things to eat at the theater! I go upstairs anyway. They have deluxe seating. You can buy a small deluxe meal & a beer. :wink:

And yet...it tastes sooooo good... 😋

I could drink that stuff.

Theater popcorn will make you eat it hand over fist, but that's probably the salt. At home, I melt REAL butter, and pour that over my popcorn. It is more subtle, which is a good thing, IMO.

Movie theater popcorn looks and tastes like a butter flavored chemical concoction that will give you cancer. I've had cancer once, I don't want it again.

CD

Theater popcorn will make you eat it hand over fist, but that's probably the salt. At home, I melt REAL butter, and pour that over my popcorn. It is more subtle, which is a good thing, IMO.

Movie theater popcorn looks and tastes like a butter flavored chemical concoction that will give you cancer. I've had cancer once, I don't want it again.

CD
When I make it, here's what I do:

Heat a few tablespoons of peanut oil in a deep saucepan (fairly high heat), add three kernels, wait for them to pop.

Remove from heat, add about 1/4 cup kernels and about two tablespoons of butter, keep it off the heat for 30 seconds (ATK says taking it off the heat and adding the kernels reduces old maids, and it seems to work, don't ask me why).

Back on the heat, shake and pop until done, then off the heat, and take the cover off as soon as it's safe to let the steam out (no soggy corn).

Put some in a big bowl, a little salt, shake it, a little more popcorn, a little salt, shake it, and one more time until it's all in the bowl.

The popcorn popping in the butter really gets it into every kernel, and it gets a little brown butter taste to it.

But that stuff at the theater...I could bathe in that like Countess Bathory bathed in virgins' blood.

I used to tell the kid filling my bucket, "Ok, about a third with the popcorn, now a big squirt of that butter-grease. Now shake it a bit. Now a third more and another squirt, now shake it. Now top it off, another big squirt, and hand it over!"

Heat a few tablespoons of peanut oil in a deep saucepan (fairly high heat), add three kernels, wait for them to pop.

Remove from heat, add about 1/4 cup kernels and about two tablespoons of butter, keep it off the heat for 30 seconds (ATK says taking it off the heat and adding the kernels reduces old maids, and it seems to work, don't ask me why).

Back on the heat, shake and pop until done, then off the heat, and take the cover off as soon as it's safe to let the steam out (no soggy corn).

Put some in a big bowl, a little salt, shake it, a little more popcorn, a little salt, shake it, and one more time until it's all in the bowl.

The popcorn popping in the butter really gets it into every kernel, and it gets a little brown butter taste to it.

But that stuff at the theater...I could bathe in that like Countess Bathory bathed in virgins' blood.

I used to tell the kid filling my bucket, "Ok, about a third with the popcorn, now a big squirt of that butter-grease. Now shake it a bit. Now a third more and another squirt, now shake it. Now top it off, another big squirt, and hand it over!"

That kid probably saw you coming, and told all his coworkers, "Here comes that guy, again." :laugh:

CD

Not that I eat theater popcorn, but it's off my list of things to eat at the theater! I go upstairs anyway. They have deluxe seating. You can buy a small deluxe meal & a beer. :wink:

We don't have any fancy movie theatres like that around here! NO beer, NO deluxe meal, small or otherwise...

Yikes.

I've just died a little bit on the inside. ;-0

Old maids?!!

Back
Top Bottom