medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:48 AM
We LOVE dim sum and always make at least 2 or 3 or even 4 different kinds whenever we make them. I'll start off by posting Pork and Shrimp Sui Mai as the first recipe in this thread and will add others over time, as well as a couple of sauces we make. The pork and shrimp sui mai are the little bundles on the left side of the picture below.

Our favorite dipping sauce recipes, dough recipes, and different folding techniques can be found in the thread below.

I use a levered scoop that holds just over 1 Tbsp to scoop the filling. It's much faster than trying to do it using a regular spoon, and you always get pretty much the same amount that way.

2020-06-06-18-41-59-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Dipping sauces - The first 2 are our favorites

Courtesy of Ming Tsai, Blue Ginger

Spicy Soy dipping sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup green onions, green parts only, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp sambal oelek or Sriracha

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve or store in an airtight container.

Ginger dipping sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup Chinese Black Vinegar
1-1/4 cup green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Serve or store in airtight container.

Another ginger and black vinegar sauce

2 scallions, thinly sliced
One 2" piece ginger, peeled, julienned
1/3 cup black vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Combine all ingredients in a small container.

Last edited:
Unleavened dumpling dough recipe.

It's easy to make, but it takes a LOT of time to roll them out by hand the traditional way, which is a little ball of dough and each one gets rolled out individually with a short piece of about a 1" dowel. The dough is also kind of stiff so rolling it out with a big rolling pin is hard work, though doable, and then you would use cookie cutters to punch out your wrappers, But, I had a thought, use the pasta machine and roll the dough out to a 5 setting (ours has 6 settings), which is just about the right thickness. Then, use a 3 inch cookie cutter (round or square) to punch out the wrappers.

I'll be honest, I don't make the dough anymore. It's too easy to make a trip to an Asian market and buy the already made wrappers. They are just as good and making dumplings is so much easier and much more faster by using them. Caveat, I will make the dough when making soup dumplings simply because the wrappers need to be a bit bigger for soup dumplings than other dim sum. By that same token, soup dumplings are a LOT of work, as you will be able to see once I get that recipe posted.

2 cups water
4 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp salt

Bring the water to boil in a small saucepan. In a large stainless steel bowl, combines the flour and salt. Slowly add the boiling water in 1/4 cup increments, stirring using chopsticks or similar, until a ball forms and the dough is not too hot to handle. You may not need all the water. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Form the dough back into a ball, place back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 1 hours.

Alternatively, use a stand mixer with a dough hook.

Divide dough in half and roll each piece into a 1 inch log, then cut into 1/2-3/4 pieces so that you'll be able to roll into a 3 inch circle using a short piece of 1 inch dowel.

Last edited:
Yeasted dough for steaming dumplings.
An example of this dough is the 3 round puffy buns in the picture below.
full.jpg

1 Tbsp sugar
3 ounces warm water + additional room temperature water
3/4 tsp active dry yeast
3/4 tsp lard or vegetable shortening, melted
1-1/4 cups AP flour

Mix sugar, water and yeast together, and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes until you see bubbles forming. In a medium-sized bowl, add flour, lard/shortening, yeast mixture, and 1 cup of water. Mix well to combine, adding more liquid as needed to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, elastic, and only slightly sticky. Return to bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 20 minutes.

Turn rested dough out onto a slightly floured board, divide into 2 and set aside one half. Form the other half into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces and form into balls.

Flatten balls and press/roll/stretch into a 3 inch diameter circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Place about 1 Tbsp of filling in center, and pleat edges to form a little cup around the filling. Filling should be just slightly under the top edges of the dough. I place the formed cups on squares of parchment paper about 1/2 around bigger than the dough cup. It makes it easier to transfer to the bamboo steamer later and negates the need to line the steamer with lettuce leaves.

Cover the buns with a lightly dampened paper towel or Pam-sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour.

Fill the steamer baskets with the dough cups, not allowing them to touch and place the steamer baskets over a pot of simmering water. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the filling is cooked and the dough appears shiny.

Last edited:
OTHER WRAPPING TECHNIQUES for pot stickers.

I use different wrapping/folding methods for each different filling so we can tell them apart.

Traditional crescent shape - This is the fold shown in the first picture on the right side, with the brown bottoms. It looks more complicated than the others, but once you've done a few, your fingers will know what to do and the more you make, the faster you get. I can fold an 11-fold pot sticker in 40-45 seconds now. Lay out 4-6 wrappers, keeping remainder covered under damp paper towel. Start out with just a few. I'm fast enough now that I fill a dozen at a time, but you don't want the wrappers to dry out. Fill a small ramekin with water. Using your finger, dip it into the water and "paint" around the edge of each wrapper. Place about 1 Tbsp of filling in the center of each wrapper. I use a levered scoop. Pick up opposite sides and lightly stick together in center to make a half moon shape. Then, starting at 1 edge of the half-moon shape, make a little pleat with 1 side of the wrapper. Try to make 3 pleats between the bottom and the top where you have lightly stuck them together. Then make a pleat at the top, then 3 more on the other side for a total of 7. Try to make an odd number of pleats, it's an Asian thing for good luck I think. I've gotten good enough I make 11 pleats for each one, which is the magic number from what I've read, but I went from 7 to 9 and now to 11.

Bishop's hat wrap - Paint water around edge of each wrapper. Place 1 Tbsp filling in center. Pinch edges together to form a half moon. Bring points together and pinch to form a little hat.

full-jpg.jpg

Half moon - easy enough. Brush edges of dough circles with water and fold in half, pressing edges together to seal.

Rectangular X-fold - pictured above in corn, red bell pepper, shrimp picture. Bring opposite center points together and pinch. Bring 90 degree center points of unfolded edges to meet the already pinched center points, which forms sort of a square/rectangle. Pinch all edges together.

They also usually have square wrappers in the Asian market. You can make triangles with them or long rectangular shapes.

Bundles - Brush edges of wrapper with water, place filling in center. Then, pleat the edges together to form a bundle. The first couple may be a little rough looking, but you'll quickly get better as you make them.

Last edited:
My grandkids love pot stickers, saved for later. Many thanks, I appreciate the work typing that out.
Trouble is I'm the only seafood lover here. :(

Russ

We LOVE dim sum and always make at least 2 or 3 or even 4 different kinds whenever we make them. I'll start off by posting Pork and Shrimp Sui Mai as the first recipe in this thread and will add others over time, as well as a couple of sauces we make. The pork and shrimp sui mai are the little bundles on the left side of the picture below.

Our favorite dipping sauce recipes, dough recipes, and different folding techniques can be found in the thread below.

I use a levered scoop that holds just over 1 Tbsp to scoop the filling. It's much faster than trying to do it using a regular spoon, and you always get pretty much the same amount that way.

View attachment 41668
I absolutely love these things! I can Never get enough of them when I go out to eat! These look great, very nice pleats!

Pork char siu recipe. I used this for a baked bao filling recently. Chopped the meat finely, added some of the extra marinade/sauce and just a little bit of cornstarch to further thicken, mixed, and then filled the bao. Craig gobbled them down.

Back
Top Bottom