Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

The first stage of my chunky chilli is done - I used beef shin with toasted whole chillies (ground up), Mexican oregano, garlic and a can of chocolate stout. That was the marinade. Then slow cooked for four hours with some tomato purée and onion . Now I'm thinking what type of beans to add (if at all) and also considering adding roasted red peppers. It needs something extra. Its very dark. Not that dark is a bad thing.

Was the chili pepper marinade used in the final chili, or just for marinating?

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy the whole dried ones and grind it myself. I have some in a small salt shaker that I like to sprinkle on food sometimes for a bit of kick

I ran out of my home grown and dried/smoked chilis on my last batch of chili. But, I can buy dozens of varieties of dried chilis in the local grocery stores here.

Home ground chili powder has a LOT more flavor, IMO.

CD

Yes - used to marinate and then tipped into slow-cooker.

Nice. Beef shin (called beef shank in the US) is a good choice of beef. It needs a long cook to get tender, which lets all the flavors get friendly. :okay:

BTW, I also sometimes add a good dark beer to my chili. It is pretty common in Texas to use beer in chili these days.

CD

Nice. Beef shin (called beef shank in the US) is a good choice of beef. It needs a long cook to get tender, which lets all the flavors get friendly. :okay:

BTW, I also sometimes add a good dark beer to my chili. It is pretty common in Texas to use beer in chili these days.

CD

I did use beef rump (top round) for chilli-con-carne many years ago but my local supermarket for a reason unknown (to me) ceased to sell beef (many Thais refrain from eating beef for religious reasons).

rumpbeef.jpg

Last edited:
I did use beef rump for chilli-con-carne many years ago but my local supermarket for a reason unknown (to me) ceased to sell beef (many Thais refrain from eating beef for religious reasons).

Rump is a tough meat. Good beef flavor, but needs a long simmer, for sure. If you are patient, it should be good. My first choice is chuck, but short ribs or shank interest me. Brisket is also good, but it is not always easy to buy small amounts of brisket around here.

CD

I ran out of my home grown and dried/smoked chilis on my last batch of chili. But, I can buy dozens of varieties of dried chilis in the local grocery stores here.

Home ground chili powder has a LOT more flavor, IMO.

CD
I lost my supplier..My brother lives in Toronto and has been bringing me all kinds for the last 20 years when he came up to his cabin..He sold it in the fall and now is down there full time..I still have a grocery bag full of different kinds but they are dwindling fast..I'm starting to panic..I better get looking for a source

I lost my supplier..My brother lives in Toronto and has been bringing me all kinds for the last 20 years when he came up to his cabin..He sold it in the fall and now is down there full time..I still have a grocery bag full of different kinds but they are dwindling fast..I'm starting to panic..I better get looking for a source

If it isn't way too costly to ship to Canada, I can hook you up with at least enough for your personal stash. Dried chilis don't weigh anything, so it would only be customs costs. If you figure the logistics out, I'll pack some boxes.

In the meantime, I'll gladly send you a "care package" for your home cooking.

CD

I wonder if there are laws about sending seeds over the border..I think US Post to Canada Post would be the easiest...

Do you have a food supplier like Findlay's for example? A chef friend in Toronto uses The Butcher Shop and he's pretty happy. Findley's supply meat from The Butcher Shop for example. Never mind your talking about seeds, lol.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are laws about sending seeds over the border..I think US Post to Canada Post would be the easiest...

I don't know, but if it is legal, I'm in. Keep in mind, the path from seeds to dried chilis is a long one. I'm also not sure how they would grow up there. It would be a short growing season, for sure, unless you have a greenhouse.

CD

I don't know, but if it is legal, I'm in. Keep in mind, the path from seeds to dried chilis is a long one. I'm also not sure how they would grow up there. It would be a short growing season, for sure, unless you have a greenhouse.

CD
I was referring to the seeds inside the chilis...if that would make a difference..but, we can get them in Canada so there shouldn't be a problem..not sure if commercial shipping has a different customs procedure than personal..My son has a small hispanic grocer near his place but now I am curious as to what you can get for me.

I was referring to the seeds inside the chilis...if that would make a difference..but, we can get them in Canada so there shouldn't be a problem..not sure if commercial shipping has a different customs procedure than personal..My son has a small hispanic grocer near his place but now I am curious as to what you can get for me.

Next time I got to the store, I'll try to remember to snap a picture of the dried chilis. I need to buy some for myself.

CD

Back
Top Bottom