Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

The chili my mom made when I was a kid tasted like sloppy Joe meat/sauce, with kidney beans. It was served over boiled potatoes. When we moved to Texas, she got a better recipe, but it was still not great. It was more like Wendy's chili.

CD

Many years ago my ex-wife contacted me to obtain my recipe for chilli-con-carne. Her family were due to visit and they had requested the chilli that I used to make (which they remembered favourably, apparently). I have no idea what she did with it but the report came back from my daughter that it was insipid.

Yes, basmati. Its the white rice I tend to use most, unless its for risotto.
I love it. It has such great flavor! I normally use a plain short grain rice to serve with chili since rice gets overpowered by the chili, but I'm guessing we eat it differently. I typically put the rice in the bottom of the bowl and then pile chili, cheese, and sour cream on top. I could see the basmati truly as a side, though, especially since I'm betting your chili head needs respite from the fire, lol.

Yes, basmati. Its the white rice I tend to use most, unless its for risotto.

That is the same rice I use most. It is also a variety that is grown in Texas, so it comes from around 300 miles from me. You know how I like to buy as close to home as I can, when I can. The containers are reusable for all kinds of things, too -- bonus.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 5.45.48 AM.jpg

CD

That is the same rice I use most. It is also a variety that is grown in Texas, so it comes from around 300 miles from me. You know how I like to buy as close to home as I can, when I can. The containers are reusable for all kinds of things, too -- bonus.

View attachment 82170

CD
I use their wild rice regularly.

1) She didn´t have a clue how to follow a recipe and 2) she didn´t taste it while she was cooking!!

I can't remember ever tasting my chilli during the cooking of it. If it's not right after 2 hours, it will never be right. I do sometimes taste a couple of the chilli peppers that I am using before including them in the dish to assess the heat. Although that isn't always foolproof.

I am of the opinion that she used inferior/different species of chilli peppers or just missed something out of the mix because she didn't have that something.

Last edited:
Salt, salt, salt, and spices. That´s all . I´d not cook something for 2 hours unless I were happy with the seasoning.

If I need to taste for salt (as with mushy peas) I have to get my wife to do it. If not, I add too much. I don't know why I have problems with tasting salt. I always have done.

Thank you.

Daughter did it with the chilli from the freezer & texted instructions from me. There’s no cheese & extra jalapeños on the quadrant for my partner who doesn’t think he eats cheese.

If I need to taste for salt (as with mushy peas) I have to get my wife to do it. If not, I add too much. I don't know why I have problems with tasting salt. I always have done.
One of my husband's cousins is like that. He has to follow a recipe pretty much or get someone else to taste the food for him.

For me, I tend to add less salt initially and finish with salt, because sometimes food (like chili, soups, or pasta sauce) cooks down and the salty flavor becomes more concentrated at the end.

One of my husband's cousins is like that. He has to follow a recipe pretty much or get someone else to taste the food for him.

For me, I tend to add less salt initially and finish with salt, because sometimes food (like chili, soups, or pasta sauce) cooks down and the salty flavor becomes more concentrated at the end.

Yes, with anything that cooks a long time at a simmer, I never salt too early in the cook. Like you said, the salt can creep up on you. I always wait to do my final seasoning until the last few minutes.

CD

Back
Top Bottom