Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

Wendy’s chili:

Recipe - "Authentic" Texas Chili (A Bowl of Red)
The first is something I made for historical exploration. It is a recipe based on the original chili invented in Texas, near the Mexico border. It was a trail food for the cowboys/vaqueros of South Texas. It's nickname is "Texas Red." It has no tomatoes or beans, although beans may have often been served separately, as pinto beans where a staple food on the cattle trails.

texasredchili001-jpg.jpg
CD you rock! REAL Texas Chili - NO BEANS and NO TOMATO! Masa Harina. Love it. I never use beans, I always use Masa Harina. I do stray from pure Texas chili by using a little Tomato paste. I do like knife cut chuck.
And maybe this is a whole different topic, but, what do you serve with your Chili?
Topped with sour cream, thin sliced scallions and shredded cheddar. #1 Corn Bread or #2 garlic cheese French bread. Rice or pasta - NEVER!

This kind of blows my mind.

Here they mostly do ice cream and shakes. There is a hot dog menu and right now they are promoting hot chicken rolls.

Wendy's chili is a popular item here. It's not bad -- not great, either. But, I don't mind it as a side.

They make if from the leftover fresh burger beef from the day before, which got a lot of panties in a wad a few years ago. It was a big scandal. But, one of the reasons Wendy's makes chili is to avoid food waste. They only use fresh, not frozen beef for their burgers. Without the chili, they would be throwing out a lot of beef. People got over it.

CD

The funny thing to me is, Wendy’s chili tastes a lot like the chili my mom made when we were growing up.

The chili my mom made when I was a kid tasted like sloppy Joe meat/sauce, with kidney beans. It was served over boiled potatoes. When we moved to Texas, she got a better recipe, but it was still not great. It was more like Wendy's chili.

CD

The chili my mom made when I was a kid tasted like sloppy Joe meat/sauce, with kidney beans.
I can pretty much tell you how my mom made it: brown some ground beef with green pepper and onion, a couple of mason jars of home-canned tomatoes, and a can of kidney beans, plus some chili powder. That was about it.

Slow cooked chunky chilli con carné

This was the best chilli I ever made. I'm not entirely sure why. Could be the chocolate stout, maybe the roasted dried chillies or the Mexican herbs - most likely a combination of all.

karadekoolaid suggested using borlotti beans, caseydog suggested pinto beans. In the end I used a mix of both. To be honest it works even without the beans but it does benefit from the roasted red Romano peppers, I think.

Mine has another 24 hours in the slow cooker. We are having in-laws, youngest stepdaughter and her fiance, and the fiance's parents over for dinner. Hubby was going to order pizza, but I talked him out of it. I had stuff to make chili and it's a lot cheaper to do that than to spend $35+ on takeout food. And it's super easy to just spoon the chili out of the crockpot. I bought fresh cilantro and stuff to make queso fundido (I already have chorizo in my freezer) and I have stuff to make salsa. Oh, and I bought some of these tubes of pepper paste for future son-in-law because he likes spicy! My in-laws do not, but this easy enough because he just stir in the amount he wants into his bowl.
1646949976338.png

Last edited:
Slow cooked chunky chilli con carné

View attachment 82144

This was the best chilli I ever made. I'm not entirely sure why. Could be the chocolate stout, maybe the roasted dried chillies or the Mexican herbs - most likely a combination of all.

karadekoolaid suggested using borlotti beans, caseydog suggested pinto beans. In the end I used a mix of both. To be honest it works even without the beans but it does benefit from the roasted red Romano peppers, I think.
Is that basmati rice? That dish is so beautiful. I love beef chunks in chili, that's the way my cousin's wife in AZ makes it (her parents are both from Mexico). She makes the best chili (no beans) I have ever eaten in my life!

Is that basmati rice? That dish is so beautiful. I love beef chunks in chili, that's the way my cousin's wife in AZ makes it (her parents are both from Mexico). She makes the best chili (no beans) I have ever eaten in my life!

Yes, basmati. Its the white rice I tend to use most, unless its for risotto.

Back
Top Bottom