Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

Yes, with anything that cooks a long time at a simmer, I never salt too early in the cook. Like you said, the salt can creep up on you. I always wait to do my final seasoning until the last few minutes.

CD
DITTO
I tend to be heavy handed with salt. I always wait to salt until close to the end of the cooking process especially when using stock, broth, Better Than Boullion or smoked or seasoned meats/sausage.

I just noticed that chili was dish of the month. So I might as well throw it here.

This was venison chili. I used ground venison, and venison steak. Otherwise it was a pretty standard chili recipe, minus the beans.

Here´s a question.
not a criticism, just a question.
How many of us put grated cheese on top of our chile?
And in how many cases is that Cheddar (or some variation of) cheese?
I do so rarely, but I DID use it at a Chile con Carne festival a couple of years back:

I usually put it in the bottom of the bowl, then put the chili on top. I'll usually use colby cheese, but I'll also use cheddar or jack cheese, or even deli American cheese.

That is quite unusual (to use venison). It looks good.
Not to answer for detroitdad , but I know alot of folk who only eat meat that they've hunted and dressed ... deer, fish, opossum, squirrel, etc.
Venison is delicious as Chili and Burgers too😋

Here´s a question.
not a criticism, just a question.
And in how many cases is that Cheddar (or some variation of) cheese?
I do so rarely, but I DID use it at a Chile con Carne festival a couple of years back:

View attachment 82419

Sometimes I do, but not usually. If I put chili on a baked potato, I always put grated cheddar on it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom