Do you have an egg shortage in your area?

I suppose I could lift my moratorium on Deviled Eggs now that I can get them at 25¢ a piece, I love Deviled Eggs
IMG_6276.JPG

If there's a shortage, it's seemingly running the classic supply-demand curve. Two years ago, eggs cost us 7 cents. Now they're in the 45 cent range. We can always get them, but they're stupid expensive for a business like ours whose number one consumable and the main ingredient in our top 5 dishes in sales is eggs. Maybe that's reduced demand accordingly, I don't have current production figures.

Complain much, do I?

If there's a shortage, it's seemingly running the classic supply-demand curve. Two years ago, eggs cost us 7 cents. Now they're in the 45 cent range. We can always get them, but they're stupid expensive for a business like ours whose number one consumable and the main ingredient in our top 5 dishes in sales is eggs. Maybe that's reduced demand accordingly, I don't have current production figures.

Complain much, do I?
?
You own a business? What sort and is it that enjoyterracotta.com ? Somehow I thought that was not what you did ...

?
You own a business? What sort and is it that enjoyterracotta.com ? Somehow I thought that was not what you did ...
Yes, Terra Cotta is our family (my daughter, my cooking partner/BFF, and me) business. I cooked there, still train boh people, fix stuff, and do menu/recipe development. My day job is as a research scientist at our local university. I also write for a technical magazine. Weird combo, I know.

Yes, Terra Cotta is our family (my daughter, my cooking partner/BFF, and me) business. I cooked there, still train boh people, fix stuff, and do menu/recipe development. My day job is as a research scientist at our local university. I also write for a technical magazine. Weird combo, I know.
That's what I thought you had mentioned previously, but WOW! You've got a pretty sweet gig! Three to be specific!!

Two years ago, eggs cost us 7 cents. Now they're in the 45 cent range.

That sounds like retail prices. Do you not have a restaurant supply for small places, not Cheney or Sysco, near you? We have a restaurant supply place near us, 3 local locations, called Restaurant Depot and the prices are way lower than the grocery, though not quite as good as the 2 big places mentioned above. All RD requires is a business license, doesn't even have to be a food service business, to get a free membership.

That sounds like retail prices. Do you not have a restaurant supply for small places, not Cheney or Sysco, near you? We have a restaurant supply place near us, 3 local locations, called Restaurant Depot and the prices are way lower than the grocery, though not quite as good as the 2 big places mentioned above. All RD requires is a business license, doesn't even have to be a food service business, to get a free membership.
We use RD as our principal supplier; they're about an hour and a half drive, which we do 3-4 times a week. There's also a good local egg producer.

Sysco will no longer service small accounts like us or any of the other restaurants in town, but apparently their prices for eggs are just as bad.

The RD in Dallas would not let me join, and they were rather snotty about it.

CD

Did you present your business license?

We have a BL for a diving industry business and there was no problem. And, while there are obviously people in there buying for a small restaurant, there are also obviously people like us in there buying for personal use.

If they wouldn't accept your BL for your photography, tell them you also do food styling photography and have to prepare multiple dishes for each shoot. :whistling:

Did you present your business license?

We have a BL for a diving industry business and there was no problem. And, while there are obviously people in there buying for a small restaurant, there are also obviously people like us in there buying for personal use.

If they wouldn't accept your BL for your photography, tell them you also do food styling photography and have to prepare multiple dishes for each shoot. :whistling:

We don't have a "business license" in Texas. Most wholesale stores in Texas require a State of Texas Sales Tax Permit to join/shop, which I have. I told RD that I do food photography, but they just looked down their noses at me. I never went back to try again.

CD

Back
Top Bottom