Do you have an egg shortage in your area?

Saw this today at Wally-World

IMG_2490.JPG

I showed this to DH, he didn't believe me that it's been rough out there ...

Like I've said, I live in Cowboyville AZ USA 🤠

There are two Walmart stores in Frisco, and they are both very nice. Both have been remodeled within the last year, and are always clean.

These stores carry products that you may not find in more rural Walmart stores. The store nearest me has USDA Prime beef in their meat department. The Kroger nearest me doesn't.

CD

caseydog we have FOUR Wally-worlds in our area 🙃 I've never noticed the meat section before, meats I do at Costco mostly.

I always walk through the meat departments at Walmart and other stores and look for good stuff that is marked down because it is really close to it's 'sell by' date. At Walmart, the discounted steaks/meats have bold yellow labels on them you easily see. I once bought a USDA Prime tomahawk ribeye there on sale for half price.

When I find a really good deal, I buy it, vacuum seal the meat, and freeze it. The 'sell by' date doesn't matter if you are going to freeze the meat.

CD

Ok, some egg stock pics for you.

Kroger:
B5337B70-7F2B-4862-9DA8-24247D18EA5E.jpeg

Not bad, a bare spot here and there.

ALDI:
992F4E8A-8D3D-4B49-87E2-14687294B61D.jpeg
F7B3D17B-8A11-49D2-BB29-9954C5CB8F56.jpeg

There’s one spot on the bottom left of that last photo that should have eggs, but doesn’t. This may seem a little bare, but this is typical for the ALDI in my town.

Walmart:
C625D6C5-DDD9-414F-B3D3-1007E76B8252.jpeg

That’s better stocked than Walmart usually is, but no “premium” eggs, just the standard stuff, and an empty spot there in the middle.

My anecdotal two cents: the premium stuff (organic, free range, cruelty-free) went up a little, about a buck/dozen. The cheaper supermarket eggs have gone up much more, roughly doubling in price.

My hens stop laying for a month or two around this time of year - my coops are not equipped with electric, and thus no winter lights beyond what the Sun provides, nor extra heat other than body warmth and the enclosures.

So, yes, an egg shortage. Happens every year about now.

Supermarkets and small groceries still have plenty, but they cost more. My preferred organic feed went up from $72 to $95 in a couple of months around September, for the size packaging I buy.

My hens stop laying for a month or two around this time of year - my coops are not equipped with electric, and thus no winter lights beyond what the Sun provides, nor extra heat other than body warmth and the enclosures.

So, yes, an egg shortage. Happens every year about now.

Supermarkets and small groceries still have plenty, but they cost more. My preferred organic feed went up from $72 to $95 in a couple of months around September, for the size packaging I buy.

I don't know why the price of feed would have gone up. It is so hard to figure out what part of inflation is due to outside causes, and what part is just price gouging. I know gasoline prices when up, and oil company profits hit record highs at the exact same time. What a coincidence. :scratchhead:

CD

I didn't check the eggs at H-E-B tonight. The place was packed, so I got my stuff and left.

CD

I don't know why the price of feed would have gone up. It is so hard to figure out what part of inflation is due to outside causes, and what part is just price gouging. I know gasoline prices when up, and oil company profits hit record highs at the exact same time. What a coincidence. :scratchhead:

CD
The price of chook feed here has also risen quite sharply. I can only get the feed in 20kg (or 25kg) bags and the price has gone from $25‐$30 to $40‐45 per bag. My chooks get through 2 of those bags every month minimum in addition to 1 bag of another feed that cost around $35. I used to pick these 3 up once a month and wasn't even close to the only tap (no pin) on visa at $80-90... now I have to put in my pin code which means it's over $100.

Additionally, they have stuff that we usually only buy every 10-12 months or so (such as a 2×25kg bag of black sunflower seeds unhulled (@ $45 per bag) and a whole dried corn bag ($40)), plus an unmedicated chick starter (roughly $40) that they get through about 4 of those bags each year.

Gooberment changed laws 10 years ago to stop caged eggs. It just came in and someone never took notice!! Eggs are scarce as rooster eggs. My supplier has me as preferred customer. People are all over the place looking for them.

Russ

The egg shelves were full at Walmart this evening. Prices are still kinda' high, but like I said, it's hard to know how much of that is caused by inflation or bird flu, and how much is price gouging.

IMG_2149.JPG

CD

Back
Top Bottom