SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:38 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was searching for a title and after coming across bread being used instead of pastry for mini breakfast muffins, I decided to use an old favourite, toad-in-a-hole. Well there is neither a toad or a hole in toad-in-a-hole but at least with mine there is both and egg and a hole...

I was trying for a slightly different take on "dippy eggs with soldiers", but I overcooked the eggs every so slightly. The whites curiously were just every so soft, the yolks were just after that runny stage, but were still soft. Next time I will cook them for less time. Hopefully my oven will be more reliable by then!

This served the 2 of us with 2 rolls each.

IMG_6077.JPG

Mine (sprinkled with turmeric & paprika and turmeric & chilli powder but with no salt and pepper. The garlic is underneath the egg and was yummy. Akin to garlic bread and egg really!).

IMG_6079.JPG

Just ever so slightly overdone for our liking - the eggs were 4 days old, the oldest we have currently from our chooks. We would both have preferred the yolks to have been runny when cut into. Next time :whistling:

IMG_6076.JPG

My OH's, who just wanted plain eggs with salt and pepper. Guess what complaint I got half way through the meal when he smelt my garlic and suggested that the bread had been sprayed with olive oil :whistling: you got it!

Ingredients
4 crusty baps (baps are rolls btw)
4 eggs
salt & pepper
1 clove garlic crushed
paprika
turmeric
chilli powder
olive oil spray
dairy free coconut oil cheese.

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 220C.
  2. Cut the tops off the crusty rolls as high as you can. Now, with a really sharp knife, cut a cross into the soft bread inside the bap taking care not to pierce the bottom or the sides of the roll.
  3. Next if you have a small soup ladle use this, otherwise with a soup spoon or similar, press the centre of the bap down into the base and the sides into their sides without flattening the sides. You want to be able to house the egg in here without losing the contents over the sides. Repeat for the remaining baps and place them on a baking tray - no need to grease or oil.
  4. Give the inside of each bap's hole a quick spray with the oil spray, add a little crushed garlic (to those who want it) and crack open an egg into each of the holes.
  5. Sprinkle with a touch of turmeric and either paprika or chilli powder (I did one of each for mine) and season as needed.
  6. Next place some slices of the coconut oil cheese around the edges of the egg and over the bread, but not covering the egg completely.
  7. Now slide the baking tray into the oven uncovered for 10 minutes, remove and cover with the tops of the baps and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
  8. If the eggs are still too runny for you (wobble the tray), cover with foil to prevent the baps from burning and return to the oven for another few minutes checking periodically until cooked to your liking.
  9. Serve immediately.

Second time around, I kept the eggs covered with foil the entire time - 20 minutes. I checked at 15 minutes but they needed longer. I also kept an eye on the temporary (and possibly inaccurate) oven thermometer which read roughly 200C throughout.

This time the yolks were runny. Not quite as runny as I like, but I think that had more to do with me faffing around photoing them rather than promptly cutting them up.

IMG_6081.JPG

(one was spicy this time and the other herby.)

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

Back
Top Bottom