Recipe Fettucine with Shiitake Mushrooms and Basil

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
5:10 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice, juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or spaghetti (see Ingredient note)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, divided

Preparation
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking pasta.
  2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Remove from the heat.
  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
  4. Add the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid, Parmesan and 1/4 cup basil to the mushrooms in the skillet; toss to coat well. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil.
Original source: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fettuccine_with_shiitake_mushrooms_basil.html

I actually think one of the ways I am likely to enjoy mushrooms is with pasta. I saw several recipes that called for some kind of pasta and when I do find some mushrooms I am going to probably make a pasta dish similar to this.

Thank you for this recipe. I love mushrooms in any dish or alone. I will add this tonight as a side dish to our rib dish. Mushrooms are so versatile and these particular mushrooms are meaty in flavor and hearty, a great addition to this fettuccine.

Mushrooms with pasta is a good combination. This is a recipe which showcases the mushrooms - so I reckon it would be essential to have good quality and deep tasting ones! White button mushrooms aren't going to work here. And the lemon zest is also essential. It would make a lovely light lunch or even a starter.

Back
Top Bottom