Five facts about you.

1) I had/have a rare benign tumor in my right knee joint area. So rare that it has heretofore only been seen in.... dogs. It took a couple years to get diagnosed. They removed nearly all of it back in December 2017. Unfortunately it is slowly growing back (fortunately not quite in the joint area this time, because it took a heck of a long time for me to regain decent mobility). I have two scars going up and down the area, as they had to approach removal from both sides.
2) I am a six-foot-one tall woman (1.85 meters, for your enlightened metric folk out there).
3) Back in the days of a college summer job working as an accountant, I trained my left (non-dominant) hand to use the numeric keypad for calculations, so I could record numbers (using a pen) with my right, as an efficiency move Computers weren't around then, at least not where i worked. I transferred this skill over to computer mouse work - and am rather ambidextrous with the mouse now.
4) I've lived in Louisville Kentucky, Manhattan New York City, Greenwood Lake New York, South Bend Indiana, two towns near Danbury Connecticut, and an undisclosed location in the Hilltowns of Massachusetts. I've had extended vacations in Maine, and in Scotland (UK).
5) I used to play D&D quite a lot back in the day, with DM's that liked to be creative and use those books just as springboards to creating storylines that could actually make good fantasy novels, if we'd done that. One summer we also play-tested the Ghostbusters D&D style gaming system before it went on market.
6 - bonus) I modified a house plan and had it built - basically around the kitchen. I didn't change that much about the original plan, other than drastically fixing the kitchen it included so it it could fit MY needs! Here I am happily retired.

I transferred this skill over to computer mouse work - and am rather ambidextrous with the mouse now.
In the office at work, I use a desktop, and I routinely transfer my mouse from one side to the other, based on which hand is giving me trouble that week, but I never reprogram the buttons.

We (used to) frequently share computers at work, just to demo something, as in, "Move over, let me show you what's happening with this," - used to drive my coworkers up a wall, because they'd see the mouse on the left, and assumed I'd reprogrammed the buttons for a lefty, and then, trying to use a mouse left-handed with right-handed buttons doubled the confusion.

To make things worse, I had two monitors, and I accidentally got the connections switched, so that the monitor that was physically on the right was defined as the left monitor in Windows, which meant to move to the right screen to click on the spreadsheet that was up, you had to move to the left with the mouse... :whistling:

1) I had/have a rare benign tumor in my right knee joint area. So rare that it has heretofore only been seen in.... dogs. It took a couple years to get diagnosed. They removed nearly all of it back in December 2017. Unfortunately it is slowly growing back (fortunately not quite in the joint area this time, because it took a heck of a long time for me to regain decent mobility). I have two scars going up and down the area, as they had to approach removal from both sides.
2) I am a six-foot-one tall woman (1.85 meters, for your enlightened metric folk out there).
3) Back in the days of a college summer job working as an accountant, I trained my left (non-dominant) hand to use the numeric keypad for calculations, so I could record numbers (using a pen) with my right, as an efficiency move Computers weren't around then, at least not where i worked. I transferred this skill over to computer mouse work - and am rather ambidextrous with the mouse now.
4) I've lived in Louisville Kentucky, Manhattan New York City, Greenwood Lake New York, South Bend Indiana, two towns near Danbury Connecticut, and an undisclosed location in the Hilltowns of Massachusetts. I've had extended vacations in Maine, and in Scotland (UK).
5) I used to play D&D quite a lot back in the day, with DM's that liked to be creative and use those books just as springboards to creating storylines that could actually make good fantasy novels, if we'd done that. One summer we also play-tested the Ghostbusters D&D style gaming system before it went on market.
6 - bonus) I modified a house plan and had it built - basically around the kitchen. I didn't change that much about the original plan, other than drastically fixing the kitchen it included so it it could fit MY needs! Here I am happily retired.

1.85 mt tall!
Oh, I could be your backpack then - I’m 1.66

We are are a stupid mix in the UK and still describe height in feet and distance in miles. Road signage shows miles. Social distancing is in metres.
Some years ago, I was buying some cheese and asked for "about 200 grams", thus allowing a certain leeway in the weight. The assistant in this particular shop turned out to be phenomenally dim. She asked me, "How much is that?" I couldn't help replying, "It's somewhere between 199 and 201 grams." She just stared at me and said, "Oh."

The thing that I found most troubling was that this was someone who was evidently working in the school holidays and must have been either 16 or 17. You'd think that kind of age group might learn these things, or at least have a certain idea.

Some years ago, I was buying some cheese and asked for "about 200 grams", thus allowing a certain leeway in the weight. The assistant in this particular shop turned out to be phenomenally dim. She asked me, "How much is that?" I couldn't help replying, "It's somewhere between 199 and 201 grams." She just stared at me and said, "Oh."

The thing that I found most troubling was that this was someone who was evidently working in the school holidays and must have been either 16 or 17. You'd think that kind of age group might learn these things, or at least have a certain idea.

I once asked a high school age cashier why the date December 7, 1941was important in world history. She had no clue. Makes me wonder how many cashiers could make change with out the register telling them or give them the exact change after they rung it up? :whistling:

We are are a stupid mix in the UK and still describe height in feet and distance in miles. Road signage shows miles. Social distancing is in metres.
When I first arrived in the UK, as in the morning of, I had to take a military-contracted coach from RAF Mildenhall, where we'd landed, to RAF Upper Heyford, where I was stationed.

Bit of a ride, and the coach driver took it upon himself to school me a bit in some of the differences between "us Brits and you Yanks." He started talking about 20oz pints versus 16oz pints, and stones versus pounds, and grams versus ounces, and in short order we passed a road sign with miles to Newmarket (I think), and I wondered out loud, "Hmmm...how many kilometers do you think that is?"

"I don't have a bloody clue! We don't go for that metric bollocks here!"
:laugh:

This wasn't that long ago, just last year, I asked the butcher for "One-and-a-quarter pounds of the ground chuck," and he looked at me and just said, "Uhhhhhhh..."

I had to explain that would be 1.25 on his digital scale. 😕

I once asked a high school age cashier why the date December 7, 1941was important in world history. She had no clue. Makes me wonder how many cashiers could make change with out the register telling them or give them the exact change after they rung it up? :whistling:
I think that's every generation. I can absolutely picture 1925 in my mind and hearing some old fart (not that you're an old fart!) complaining that the young lady selling cigarettes at the speakeasy didn't know the significance of April 9, 1865. :)

In the office at work, I use a desktop, and I routinely transfer my mouse from one side to the other, based on which hand is giving me trouble that week, but I never reprogram the buttons.

It never has even occurred to me to reprogram the buttons! When I might switch back to right handed, that would be confusing!

I'm 6'/183cm, its nice to meet another tall lady :hug:

I usually measure my height in feet, but my weight always in kilos....how mixed up is that :giggle:
I do distance in miles but everything else in metric - calculations are so much easier in metric than imperial units.

I'm 6'/183cm, its nice to meet another tall lady :hug:

I usually measure my height in feet, but my weight always in kilos....how mixed up is that :giggle:
I do distance in miles but everything else in metric - calculations are so much easier in metric than imperial units.

What happened to "Stones"? :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom