Five facts about you.

5) I used to play D&D quite a lot back in the day, with DM's that liked to be creative and use those books just as springboards to creating storylines that could actually make good fantasy novels, if we'd done that. One summer we also play-tested the Ghostbusters D&D style gaming system before it went on market.

I'm quite surprised at how many of us here used to play RPG of one sort or another.
That must be 4 or 5 out of a relatively smallish sample of people.

Having recently restarted I'm quite disappointed that I stopped playing.

We are are a stupid mix in the UK and still describe height in feet and distance in miles. Road signage shows miles. Social distancing is in metres.

I remember Stephen Fry mentioning on one of the very early episodes of QI that the UK had this rather odd thing of often using Fahrenheit for warm weather temperatures and Centigrade for cold. So the convo would be "phew what a scorcher, it's 80°." or "blimey, it's -2°, flippin' freezing."

Although even in the short time since that episode was aired I feel that more and more people are using Centigrade.

I once asked a high school age cashier why the date December 7, 1941was important in world history. She had no clue. Makes me wonder how many cashiers could make change with out the register telling them or give them the exact change after they rung it up? :whistling:

There are people our age that couldn't answer that question.

CD

RPG of one sort or another.
I learnt RPG II once. Does that count?
the UK had this rather odd thing of often using Fahrenheit for warm weather temperatures and Centigrade for cold.
I can't compute in Fahrenheit anymore, but I know exactly what you mean. I measure everything in metric, but I still use inches as well. It's a useful measure, and there isn't a metric equivalent, obviously.

I learnt RPG II once. Does that count?

I can't compute in Fahrenheit anymore, but I know exactly what you mean. I measure everything in metric, but I still use inches as well. It's a useful measure, and there isn't a metric equivalent, obviously.
The handy trick we used for going from C to F, for the normal range of warm weather temps, is to double it and add 30, so 8C is (more or less) 46F. Depended on that a lot when we were out running around.

One of the dimmest things I hear is, "I don't know, I wasn't around then." Well, I didn't take part in the Battle of Hastings, but I know when it was.
The funniest of American historical knowledge of the UK was. A group of American tourist complained to the hotel manager about Windsor and the castle being built under a Heathrow flight path.
Indeed. The lead singer (in)famously ran himself over with his own car.
Do you remember Goodbye Mr Mackenzie and the Soup Dragons ?

Such an excellent idea, Wyshiepoo!

I wanted to read everyone's posts before posting mine, but that could take a very long time, so I'm planning to post mine, and then go back to read what I've missed (which is pages 2-9 at this point).
  1. I practiced Tae Kwon Do for 10 years, achieving the rank of second degree black belt, and taught a class for 5 years.
  2. About 3 months into my Tae Kwon Do training, I broke a bone in my left foot...but I didn't realize it until years later. I now have a lump that protrudes from the top of my left foot. This makes fitting into new shoes challenging.
  3. I did community theater for 20 years, during which I acted, directed, built sets, stage managed, did publicity, and even wrote the occasional play.
  4. My eyesight is - or was - terrible. It was measured at the equivalent of (if I recall correctly) 20:400 vision many years ago. I had Lasek surgery 20 years ago, and that was amazing for about 15 of those years. But, my eyesight started to deteriorate, and there was nothing left of my lenses for a second Lasek surgery. So, I got lens replacement surgery. My eyesight is perfect now, and it will never go bad because the lenses are synthetic.
  5. I tore my ACL playing football (soccer) about 20 years ago. My wife showed up for the first time ever to watch me play, but I was already out of the game by the time she arrived.

I am ambidextrous. As a child I was pressured to use my right hand. I can literally do anything with either hand

before I got married I was a meat and potatoes only guy.

I’ve had cancer twice. Cancer free for seven years now

I do stained glass art as a hobby

I didn’t start learning how to cook until I was 55. Absolutely love it.

1. I write left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed, throw a ball with my right hand, and there are many other things I do with my right hand as well.
2. I was a singer in a band in my 20s and used to play piano, guitar, and trumpet as well.
3. I am the youngest of 6 children from the same parents: I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers. I am 5'2" and one of my sisters is 6'0".
4. I lived in Okinawa, Japan from 1967 to 1970 and apparently knew how to speak Japanese fairly well at the end of those 3 years. I only remember a few words now.
5. I got suspended from the last forum I was in, LOL, and that's how I wound up here, and I am soooo much happier now!

Here's the story: the last forum that I (and Milkduds) belonged to, the moderators participated as regular users with regular screen names, but when they had to step in or close a thread, they hid behind the name "Forum Moderator" and did not disclose their identity (user name). Only they did not do a great job of staying anonymous because of the poor design of the forum, so I and several other people knew which user names were the mods.

There was one regular forum member who constantly made disparaging remarks to others. We alerted the mods and reported the offensive posts, but the mods did not intervene. New people would join, get harassed by her, and they never came back. This forum member eventually targeted me almost exclusively, following me around from thread to thread, trolling and harassing me. I would call her out on it, and she would post more antagonizing things just to get a rise out of me. But instead of the moderators suspending her, they did nothing but close the thread and leave a vague note of admonishment about the thread being closed due to escalating negativity blah blah blah.

One day I just got sick of it and I posted in a thread expressing my frustration with the mods--and I used their screen names instead of saying, "the mods"...so they suspended me. The head moderator sent me a private message demanding an apology for using their screen names in order for me to be reinstated. No way that was ever going to happen!

And that's how I found my way here.

1. I write left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed, throw a ball with my right hand, and there are many other things I do with my right hand as well.
2. I was a singer in a band in my 20s and used to play piano, guitar, and trumpet as well.
3. I am the youngest of 6 children from the same parents: I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers. I am 5'2" and one of my sisters is 6'0".
4. I lived in Okinawa, Japan from 1967 to 1970 and apparently knew how to speak Japanese fairly well at the end of those 3 years. I only remember a few words now.
5. I got suspended from the last forum I was in, LOL, and that's how I wound up here, and I am soooo much happier now!

Here's the story: the last forum that I (and Milkduds) belonged to, the moderators participated as regular users with regular screen names, but when they had to step in or close a thread, they hid behind the name "Forum Moderator" and did not disclose their identity (user name). Only they did not do a great job of staying anonymous because of the poor design of the forum, so I and several other people knew which user names were the mods.

There was one regular forum member who constantly made disparaging remarks to others. We alerted the mods and reported the offensive posts, but the mods did not intervene. New people would join, get harassed by her, and they never came back. This forum member eventually targeted me almost exclusively, following me around from thread to thread, trolling and harassing me. I would call her out on it, and she would post more antagonizing things just to get a rise out of me. But instead of the moderators suspending her, they did nothing but close the thread and leave a vague note of admonishment about the thread being closed due to escalating negativity blah blah blah.

One day I just got sick of it and I posted in a thread expressing my frustration with the mods--and I used their screen names instead of saying, "the mods"...so they suspended me. The head moderator sent me a private message demanding an apology for using their screen names in order for me to be reinstated. No way that was ever going to happen!

And that's how I found my way here.
You had me at item 1.

(Note to fellow mods: Keep an eye on this one, there's likely to be trouble)
:)

Back
Top Bottom