I thought it would be fun to make a thread with some specific questions about your food memories. I provide a template and would love to read all your answers!

1. When you were a child, if you got to choose what was for dinner: what would it have been?
  2. What did you buy with your pocket money?
  3. Would there be any special dishes with your birthday and the holidays?
  4. What did your parents cook that you absolutely hated?
  5. What food from your childhood has dissapeared from the stores?
  6. What dish or recipe did you take with you from your parental home?

1. Pizza
2. Three Musketeers
3. Pizza. My favorite side dish for the Holidays was stuffing. It kind of still is
4. Poor mans garbage plate. It was ground up hamburger, mashed potatoes, cream corn, and whatever else was in the fridge. We ate it all the time. I hate cream corn!
5. I used to buy yoohoo's all the time at the local gas station on my way home from school. I haven't seen them on the shelf in a very long time.
6. Nothing really. My parents were horrible cooks.

1. Pizza
2. Three Musketeers
3. Pizza. My favorite side dish for the Holidays was stuffing. It kind of still is
4. Poor mans garbage plate. It was ground up hamburger, mashed potatoes, cream corn, and whatever else was in the fridge. We ate it all the time. I hate cream corn!
5. I used to buy yoohoo's all the time at the local gas station on my way home from school. I haven't seen them on the shelf in a very long time.
We have some definite similarities there!

1. When you were a child, if you got to choose what was for dinner: what would it have been? I rarely got to choose what to have for dinner but if I would it would be fish fingers.
  2. What did you buy with your pocket money? I had 20€ as monthly allowance as a teenager and I used it to buy chocolate and cookies!
  3. Would there be any special dishes with your birthday and the holidays? Not really. But I always ate fish fingers on Christmas eve because traditionally you have codfish on Christmas eve and I hated codfish.
  4. What did your parents cook that you absolutely hated? Pretty much most things my mom and her mom cooked, except bolognese and curry.
  5. What food from your childhood has dissapeared from the stores? Gallack buttons! And Licungo tea.
  6. What dish or recipe did you take with you from your parental home? Nothing. My mom is a terrible cook...

My husband is the same..he also never eat his crust! The heathen.. I eat it for him 😉
I don't like the crust, either. When I do it homemade, I spread the sauce and toppings out to the very edge - stopping just before they might drip over and onto the pan or pizza stone while cooking.

would eat pizza once a month optimally. When I was going back and forth between old home and new home I probably ate it 2-3 times a month, out of convenience - there was a great pizza place that sold a variety of pizza styles by the slice about halfway between both destinations.

1. Pizza
2. Three Musketeers

You can still get yoohoo. I never liked it all that much, but I have seen it in stores. I know WalMart has it.

CD

This thread finally got me to remember what I used to spend my 'pocket money' on. We didn't get any , but what we did get was the money my now ex-step father used to lose from his pockets usually when he came home and got changed, or what escaped in the car. Finders keepers...

I used to frequent the second hand book shop a lot. Books were variously 5p (poor condition) 10p or 20p for books in excellent condition. I'd forgotten totally about my obsession with books as a child (and right up until we sold everything to go off cycling around the world). If I bought a book, I never got rid of it until that point.

I have seen many of you mention you didn't have pocket money or you didn't get to pick what you ate. I understand those questions do not go for everyone and might indicate a certain privilege. But I made as broad a list as possible, and if something doesn't apply to you you're always welcome to skip and or make your own question.

In the Netherlands it's a cultural tradition that the child is allowed to pick a meal on their birthday or on a special day like school graduation. So my question comes from that perspective. I certainly didn't get to choose what we ate on any other day, just like the rest of you.

As for pocket money, I'm aware many come from a poor background and might not have had any, but the question can also be changed to ' what is the best gift you got as a child ' or something similar if you didn't get any pocket money.

Only on vary rare occasions did I get pocket money when I was a child, and usually got it from my grand parents, but I always had plenty of money by doing casual work for people. Back in 1969 aged twelve and living in the hills above Llangollen North Wales, I worked weekends for a local farmer. I was paid ten shillings (50pence) for a Saturday and a Sunday which was an absolute fortune back then. This money enabled me to buy all my favourite sweets and chocolates, but strangely enough I became very frugal with my spending and saved most of my money. It's interesting how when you have very little money you crave all of the sweets in the shop, but when you have a few bob in your pocket the urge disappears in favour of saving for the new bike or latest football strip.

Re the money - like I said earlier, I started earning proper money at 9yo (probably illegally), but my parents never gave us an allowance for working around the house, and growing up on a family farm…lots of work to go around.

That changed when I was 11yo and Dad opened a sawmill business. Payment was cash or check only, and most customers (farmers, mainly) paid in cash.

We’d saw some logs for them (a lot of barn siding and fence boards), and they’d come out to pick it up, and Dad would look at the stack, do some figuring in his head, and say, “That’ll be…$40, hoss.” - always a round number, always multiples of $5.

I used to wait with some anticipation when the customer would reach in his jacket. If he pulled out his billfold, I knew I’d get paid a little something (usually $5-$10, and it never went up over the eight years I worked the mill :laugh: ).

If he pulled out his checkbook…nope. Dad would say, “I’ll getcha later on, Boy,” but he never would. :laugh:

I got about 2 guldens ( 4 euro) a week as a small child. From puberty on I was expected to earn my own money.
2 guldens bought nothing substantial ( only candy) unless I saved it up.

Back
Top Bottom