ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
12:56 AM
We love Cornish Hens. I buy large hens 1 to 1.5 lbs. Enough for two.
I frequently loosen the skin from the meat and stuff with cheese or a savory paste. I was inspired to include Toasted Pecans to the under skin stuffing and the savories roasted in the pan with the bird.

INGREDIENTS
1 Cornish Game Hen - 1 to 1 1/2 lb.
1 cup Toasted Pecans - divided
2 ounces room temperature Goat's Cheese
1 small yellow/brown onion - peeled cut into 8ths
2 cups Cauliflower Flowerets - cut uniformly
2 Ribs Celery - cut into 2" pieces
2 Cups cleaned, thickly sliced, Cremini Mushrooms
3 Cloves Garlic - smashed and peeled
1 TBSP EVOO
1 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Fresh Thyme or 1 Tsp. dried Thyme
1 Tsp. Better Than Bullion Chicken Base or 1 crushed Chicken Bouillon Cube
APF or Instant Flour (Wondra Flour)
Chicken Broth
Sea or Kosher Salt Fresh Ground Black Pepper

METHOD
. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
. Chop 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Stir into room temperature Goat's Cheese. Add thyme.
. Dry the hen inside and out. Loosen the skin from the breast and thighs. Stuff the cheese mixture under the skin. Salt and pepper bird inside and out. Stuff the cavity with a piece of onion. Truss the legs and tuck the wings under.
. Brush a roasting pan or oven safe sauté pan with EVOO. Arrange all veggies and remaining pecans in the bottom of the pan. Place the hen breast side up on top of the veggies. Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to brown the breast skin. Reduce heat to 375. Continue cooking until the thigh moves freely and a digital thermometer reads 165 degrees. If the pan dries add chicken stock in small amounts.
. When done remove the hen and set aside. Add BTB Chicken base or crumbled bouillon cube. Stir. Dust with a TBSP of Instant Flour (Wondra). Stir for 2 or three minutes. Add just enough stock to make a gravy. Plate and serve. Drizzle gravy over bird.

Back
Top Bottom