How do you fry your eggs?

I try to avoid crispy bottoms.
Especially on eggs, I might add, but while I like the yolk runny, I´m not too keen on semi-raw whites. I resolve that by using far too much oil/butter/bacon fat/ghee, then spooning the hot fat over the egg to cook it.

My ex SIL's aunt fried her eggs by starting out with butter or bacon grease for a couple of minutes to just start setting the white then she'd put a little water in, not enough to cause spatter, and cover by just laying a piece of foil on top. She had the timing and amount of water to use down to get a perfect sunny side up with a set egg white and nicely runny yolk.

My ex SIL's aunt fried her eggs by starting out with butter or bacon grease for a couple of minutes to just start setting the white then she'd put a little water in, not enough to cause spatter, and cover by just laying a piece of foil on top. She had the timing and amount of water to use down to get a perfect sunny side up with a set egg white and nicely runny yolk.
That’s usually how I do my sunny side up eggs, though I just clap a lid on the pan.

Whites have to be set and I prefer a jelly like yolk. I'll eat a runny yolk, but am not happy about it.
I like mine over easy with the whites set and the yolks a bit runny. Hubby's over medium with the jelly yolk.
I try to avoid crispy bottoms.
Especially on eggs, I might add, but while I like the yolk runny, I´m not too keen on semi-raw whites. I resolve that by using far too much oil/butter/bacon fat/ghee, then spooning the hot fat over the egg to cook it.
I'm the same, ick on snotty whites, but I just flip my egg instead of ladling lard. My grandmother and dad always ladled and it's quite good.

Last edited:
That’s usually how I do my sunny side up eggs, though I just clap a lid on the pan.
Thats how the Guardian’s Felicity Cloake achieves her favoured egg, my favourite thing about her - lots of nerdy research and a long test kitchen stint!
But not something I’ve tried, I‘m part of the ladle the fat group (carefully to mainly hit the top inner white) but I look forward to the fry n pan lid method muchly!

Thats how the Guardian’s Felicity Cloake achieves her favoured egg, my favourite thing about her - lots of nerdy research and a long test kitchen stint!
But not something I’ve tried, I‘m part of the ladle the fat group (carefully to mainly hit the top inner white) but I look forward to the fry n pan lid method muchly!
I've done the lid on method, but usually when I'm cooking the egg in a sausage gravy or cream sauce.
I put the lid on to finish them.
87010-5d4404c20bb59503a3c0c52c44435fcb.jpg

I keep mine in the fridge. :scratchhead:

CD
Excuse me. "Many" Americans. Actually, I do that too, but only because I don't use it daily. And after being raised in a family of people and having many friends who don't (all southern born) i know I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
Excuse me. "Many" Americans. Actually, I do thst too, but only because I don't use it daily. And after being raised in a family of people and having many friends who don't (all southern born) i know I'm in the minority.

Same here. In the fridge is out of the way. It seems safer, too.

CD

I keep my bacon grease in the refrigerator too since I don't use it every day like my grandmother.

Back
Top Bottom