How is the corona virus affecting you?

I suppose what isn't really clear is how much immunity wanes and over what time scale. In England, a 2nd booster (4th jab) has been rolled out for people over 75, residents in care homes and those with weakened immune systems. That doesn't include me - my 1st booster (3rd jab) was in mid-December. I think there is a watch and wait policy as to whether to roll out boosters to anyone else in the Autumn.
Depends on how you define immunity. if it's antibodies in the blood then yes it wanes fairly quick, as it is suppose to, and the reason multiple extra jabs in the form of boosters is promoted. Antibodies from the original vaccinations or boosters basically coat cells so that the invading virus can't attach to the protein to begin with and you don't get infected, but with immune escape being very high in omicron is the reason it's been so transmissible allowing the vast majority of vaccinated people to be infected and also spread the infection.

The other protection from either vaccination or natural immunity from the waning of antibodies that is long lasting, sometimes for a lifetime are the B cells and T cells, these are what are attributed to the mediation of hospitalization and death. Once vaccination wanes and leaves the cell exposed to infection and enters the cellular structure the B cells recognize and then start to produce new antibodies that then start to protect from the outside and when all else fails T cells from the adaptive immune system kicks in and they're sometimes called killer cells attacking the virus or they're helper cells supporting B cells role. The role of B cells and T cells for some reason have never been addressed in main stream media, which I always thought was a bit strange.

Basically Denmark has decided that because of the very poor efficacy the boosters offer in the form of antibodies and the fact that Omicron is less harmful that the average flu that the risk/reward benefit shows in favor of just living with the virus and with the extremely low death rate associated with Omicron that it was in the best interest of the population. Makes total scientific sense imo.

Last edited:
56 cases of Omicron has now been detected in Beijing and people now need a negative covid test from within the last 48 hours and proof of vaccination for public transportation, sporting events, malls, shops and banned dinning in for all restaurants.

The CCP with it's 0 covid policy has successfully kept infection at bay for a long time obviously with pretty good economic growth since the beginning of the pandemic which is a major source for national pride when comparing covid to the rest of the world. Unfortunately 0 Covid is not only unrealistic it's impossible, so it will be interesting to see how the CCP handles this going forward. The living proof that China's governance is superior will come into question and if Shanghai is evidence of how they try and mitigate Covid it's not going to end well for Xi Jinping.

Last edited:
I've got an appointment for my second covid booster (Moderna dose 4) tomorrow afternoon. I had to wait because I have a mammogram scheduled for tomorrow just before the vaccine appointment (routine check). They don't recommend getting the booster before a mammogram because it can skew the results of the mammogram due to possible lymph node swelling.

I've got an appointment for my second covid booster (Moderna dose 4) tomorrow afternoon. I had to wait because I have a mammogram scheduled for tomorrow just before the vaccine appointment (routine check). They don't recommend getting the booster before a mammogram because it can skew the results of the mammogram due to possible lymph node swelling.
We’re getting our second boosters in late July, doc’s recommendation, because we’re traveling to Europe (finally!) in early September.

Awesome!

Here second boosters are only given to anyone 60 or over, not even younger at risk people. So none for me, sadly.
In the US it's 50. It's sad that they won't allow younger at-risk people. I hope that changes soon.

What's even sadder is that many people who are a qualifying age don't want to get a booster! I can't even imagine.

So far at work we have 4 people off with covid, hopefully it won't go any further but you cannot be too sure.
It’s definitely still causing problems.

I haven’t updated in a while, and since my last post, my brother (unvaccinated, 62yo) got it and gave it to his wife and both their (adult) kids. He said he felt like crap for about three days, but got over it pretty quickly.

My SIL (MrsT’s sister, 65yo), she got it and landed in the hospital ICU for five or six days, and it severely affected an existing digestive issue she has. Hadn’t heard that before, but we looked it up, and yes, it’s a thing.

Lastly, MrsT herself was exposed by two travel clients last week who were unknowingly positive. She’s already fighting allergies, and a lot of the symptoms are the same, so she’s been very concerned, but I think she’s fine, and she’s coming out of the wait period for it anyway, so she’s likely ok, just nervous.

My son has it at the moment. He is fully vaccinated. He caught it from his ex (he thinks) who has had it 4 times! More worrying is something I saw in the Independent newspaper today:

The latest sub-variants of Omicron may have evolved to target the lung, prompting fears the next wave of the Covid could be starting. Hospital admissions for Covid patients in England have begun to grow again, new NHS data shows.

The World Health Organisation has been investigating two Omicron sub-variants since April to assess whether they are more infectious or dangerous than their predecessor. Both BA.4 and BA.5 have been added to the agency’s monitoring list.

Last week new figures showed that Covid-19 infections in the UKincreased by 43 per cent in the week after the platinum jubilee celebrations, with the two new sub-variants believed to be behind the sudden increase.

Additionally, around 1.4 million people in the UK had coronavirus in the week ending 11 June, up from around 990,000 the week before.

My son has it at the moment. He is fully vaccinated. He caught it from his ex (he thinks) who has had it 4 times! More worrying is something I saw in the Independent newspaper today:
We usually have whatever the UK has 2-3 weeks later. And we have the 4th of July coming up. Eek!

It’s definitely still causing problems.

I haven’t updated in a while, and since my last post, my brother (unvaccinated, 62yo) got it and gave it to his wife and both their (adult) kids. He said he felt like crap for about three days, but got over it pretty quickly.

My SIL (MrsT’s sister, 65yo), she got it and landed in the hospital ICU for five or six days, and it severely affected an existing digestive issue she has. Hadn’t heard that before, but we looked it up, and yes, it’s a thing.

Lastly, MrsT herself was exposed by two travel clients last week who were unknowingly positive. She’s already fighting allergies, and a lot of the symptoms are the same, so she’s been very concerned, but I think she’s fine, and she’s coming out of the wait period for it anyway, so she’s likely ok, just nervous.

For 2 of them, this is their second time, the other 2 it is their 1st. Beastly germ.

Back
Top Bottom