Lifestyle changes

Thank you MypinchofItaly and Windigo. Due to a series of unfortunate events (long boring story) I have some internal injuries that have caused problems with my GI tract. Several years ago they were forced to insert a feeding tube which I had for a few months. That was incredibly painful so I don't want another one.

I am scheduled for another endoscope and colonoscopy in late March but it doesn't really matter because there is permanent damage.

Thank you both for your kindness. :love:
I had a GI tube through my nose once, at least they attempted it three times but it didn't work because my nose was apperently too narrow. It's the most panic inducing thing I ever experienced in the hospital, and I've been through things that cause PTSD, this was so bad I never want another one.
So I can only imagine what that must be like. I am really sorry :hug:
Hope this gets sorted pretty fast for you, without a tube.

I had a GI tube through my nose once, at least they attempted it three times but it didn't work because my nose was apperently too narrow. It's the most panic inducing thing I ever experienced in the hospital, and I've been through things that cause PTSD, this was so bad I never want another one.
So I can only imagine what that must be like. I am really sorry :hug:
Hope this gets sorted pretty fast for you, without a tube.
Thank you, dear. :love: How are you doing?

They punctured my abdomen and put the clamp inside the stomach wall so I had a carry bag if it wasn't attached to the IV pole.

I've never had the nasal one but I've heard from others that it's painful. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Thank you, dear. :love: How are you doing?

They punctured my abdomen and put the clamp inside the stomach wall so I had a carry bag if it wasn't attached to the IV pole.

I've never had the nasal one but I've heard from others that it's painful. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
That sounds terrible. Glad you don't have one anymore, and praying with you that you will be spared of that now. Hope your fast helps you to recover!

I'm doing fine, I'm putting the wartime cooking idea on the backburner for now because this lifestyle change is challenging enough for me without extra rules. I still adhere to the basic rules however: no soda during the week, limited sweets (two easter eggs or a slice of cake a day) and more protein and fats/less sugar in my diet. Those are the rules my RD approves of too, she's not so keen on the low fat/high carb mantra. She's more supportive of traditional diets which had more fat and meat but less sugar and junk. I like that.

I do intend to do the wartime ration challenge sooner or later, but I should only do it when I am able to do such things without triggering my ED. Currently that's too limited to not trigger it for me.

Here's my spoiler story, not too bad, but still thought I'd share:

I had to have a nasal probe inserted into my sinuses several years ago. That remains the single most unpleasant medical experience I've ever had.

Unlike a colonoscopy, they don't put you out for a nasal probe or give you any kind of local anesthetic. The sensation of something the size of a marble traveling all around my sinuses is one I don't ever want to repeat. It's like an itch you can feel, you know where it is, but if you scratch it, it doesn't feel like you've quite gotten it, so it kind of messes with your sense of reality while it's going on - a sort of "I can feel something on my face...but there's nothing on my face." - that's because it's under your face. Things aren't supposed to be under your face, you know?

If I think about it, I can still conjure the exact feeling of that thing going along the topside of my gums, like I could feel it stimulating the roots of my teeth. Think about that for a minute... 😖

All the while, I was watching this guy feed more and more tube up my nose...another inch...another inch...another inch...and it was like a surreal magic trick, like, "How's he doing that, because there's no way all of that is fitting up my nose!"...another inch...another inch...

I don't know if it's related, but ever since that appointment, I can squirt stuff out of my right eye. They used to have a guy on TV when I was a kid who would drink, say, a glass of milk, and then he'd squirt milk out of his eye. I can do that.

Obviously, I'm not in the habit of squirting whatever I'm drinking out of my eye, but it does cause an issue because I can't really give my nose a good blowing if I'm congested, because it'll send some of it out of my eye.

Here's my spoiler story, not too bad, but still thought I'd share:

I had to have a nasal probe inserted into my sinuses several years ago. That remains the single most unpleasant medical experience I've ever had.

Unlike a colonoscopy, they don't put you out for a nasal probe or give you any kind of local anesthetic. The sensation of something the size of a marble traveling all around my sinuses is one I don't ever want to repeat. It's like an itch you can feel, you know where it is, but if you scratch it, it doesn't feel like you've quite gotten it, so it kind of messes with your sense of reality while it's going on - a sort of "I can feel something on my face...but there's nothing on my face." - that's because it's under your face. Things aren't supposed to be under your face, you know?

If I think about it, I can still conjure the exact feeling of that thing going along the topside of my gums, like I could feel it stimulating the roots of my teeth. Think about that for a minute... 😖

All the while, I was watching this guy feed more and more tube up my nose...another inch...another inch...another inch...and it was like a surreal magic trick, like, "How's he doing that, because there's no way all of that is fitting up my nose!"...another inch...another inch...

I don't know if it's related, but ever since that appointment, I can squirt stuff out of my right eye. They used to have a guy on TV when I was a kid who would drink, say, a glass of milk, and then he'd squirt milk out of his eye. I can do that.

Obviously, I'm not in the habit of squirting whatever I'm drinking out of my eye, but it does cause an issue because I can't really give my nose a good blowing if I'm congested, because it'll send some of it out of my eye.
Yeah, you described it pretty accurately, though my nose was bleeding after they tried to insert the tube three times and couldn't get past the back of my nose because the bone is apprently lopsided. It was absolutely awful. I totally understand why this was the worst experience you had.

Oh and:
In the Netherlands doctors are pretty sceptical about anesthetics, so most colonoscopies and endoscopies are done without anasthetic unlike the US. The reasoning is 'there are no nerves in the bowel'. And indeed, the one time I had it done without a completely inflamed bowel it was uncomfortable but not terrible. They do use a numbing spray to put it in.
They only give anesthetics to people who have diagnosed IBD or cancer when doing colonoscopies here. So after my diagnosis I usually did get anesthetics, though often according to the doctors (it wipes your memory) I would still complain that it hurt.

Thank you MypinchofItaly and Windigo. Due to a series of unfortunate events (long boring story) I have some internal injuries that have caused problems with my GI tract. Several years ago they were forced to insert a feeding tube which I had for a few months. That was incredibly painful so I don't want another one.

I am scheduled for another endoscope and colonoscopy in late March but it doesn't really matter because there is permanent damage.

Thank you both for your kindness. :love:

I'm really sorry, it must be complicated to handle. As Windigo said, I really hope it passes soon too and without the need for the tube.
I really wish you that. A big hug

• Love
Reactions: mjd
Today I treated myself to a nice plate of (wholemeal) pasta with a really simple sauce. Well, not properly only that, but I came back from another long walk in the afternoon carrying a small bottle of water, so I feel less guilty. I drank it all, also helped by the fact that it was really hot today.
Later on I'm going to do some exercises, mostly stretching.
I feel tired though, and it's not because of the long walk this afternoon or the one this morning. It's a mental tiredness, a loop that wraps up the days one after the other.

Reactions: mjd
In the Netherlands doctors are pretty sceptical about anesthetics,
Our NPR (National Public Radio, kinda like the BBC) did a whole series a few years back on healthcare in the US versus Europe, and one of the installments was on the vastly different attitudes toward pain and pain management.

That story echoed what you say above, and went on to detail how "the European attitude" is geared more toward teaching patients to accept that pain is a part of healing and sometimes, unfortunately, a part of life, and instead of treating with medicines to reduce/eliminate, they prefer to teach techniques to minimize pain and to learn to live with it (it reminded me of the old joke: "Doctor, my knee hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that." :laugh:). The feeling was, as long as the pain isn't causing further physical harm, then you need to just accept it and move on.

The upside was, Europe hasn't had nearly the outbreak of opioid addiction that we've seen here, but the downside was, there are apparently a lot of Europeans walking around (or not) in pain that would be treated here (with medication) without a second thought.

Our NPR (National Public Radio, kinda like the BBC) did a whole series a few years back on healthcare in the US versus Europe, and one of the installments was on the vastly different attitudes toward pain and pain management.

That story echoed what you say above, and went on to detail how "the European attitude" is geared more toward teaching patients to accept that pain is a part of healing and sometimes, unfortunately, a part of life, and instead of treating with medicines to reduce/eliminate, they prefer to teach techniques to minimize pain and to learn to live with it (it reminded me of the old joke: "Doctor, my knee hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that." :laugh:). The feeling was, as long as the pain isn't causing further physical harm, then you need to just accept it and move on.

The upside was, Europe hasn't had nearly the outbreak of opioid addiction that we've seen here, but the downside was, there are apparently a lot of Europeans walking around (or not) in pain that would be treated here (with medication) without a second thought.
Yes, it's much harder to get pain medication here even though doctors here are still concerned we might get an opioid epidemic anyway because the US has one. And there seems to be this firm belief that anything the US does or has happen to them, will happen to us.

I've got opioids for pain, but every doctor I speak to always asks why I take them and then warns me to be careful with them. I get them because they indeed judge my case as serious, but there's no such thing as it being taken for granted that you need them indeed like this article mentions. And I have the lightest form of opioids, in most cases being on stuff like oxycodone (as is the cause of the crisis in the US) for more than a few months after severe life threatening injuries or surgery is frowned upon. You also never get such opiods without a tapering plan from day one here. There are people who manage to fall through the cracks and still get addicted to oxycodone, but they're a lot rarer than they are in the US.

Even as a pain patient, I do support this. Addiction is no joke and should be avoided if possible so I think it's good that doctors try to help patients to find alternatives or give them as much as makes the pain bearable instead of taking it away completely. It's better to know what your limits are for avoiding illness progression too, as the few months I was on oxycodone everything felt fine but I actually injured myself because I didn't feel pain and still live with the damage (a frontal hernia).

Yes, it's much harder to get pain medication here even though doctors here are still concerned we might get an opioid epidemic anyway because the US has one. And there seems to be this firm belief that anything the US does or has happen to them, will happen to us.

I've got opioids for pain, but every doctor I speak to always asks why I take them and then warns me to be careful with them. I get them because they indeed judge my case as serious, but there's no such thing as it being taken for granted that you need them indeed like this article mentions. And I have the lightest form of opioids, in most cases being on stuff like oxycodone (as is the cause of the crisis in the US) for more than a few months after severe life threatening injuries or surgery is frowned upon. You also never get such opiods without a tapering plan from day one here. There are people who manage to fall through the cracks and still get addicted to oxycodone, but they're a lot rarer than they are in the US.
I live near pretty much Ground Zero for the opioid problem here, not too far for one of the largest (if not the largest) illegal pill mill in the entire country.

When we first moved here, we'd go into restaurants or grocery stores and could look at people and just about figure out who was a meth user or an opioid user, just by the scabby faces, black teeth, listlessness, etc. Even now, the police docket in our local paper is just line after line of:

"Michael Wilson, 34, Main St, New Vienna, arrested for receiving stolen property and possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia."

"Janet Black, 22, Oak St, Blanchester, arrested for public intoxication and possession of a class A narcotic and drug paraphernalia."

Tommy Henderson, 54, Kingman St, Wilmington, arrested for domestic assault, possession of an unlicensed firearm, violation of restraining order, and possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia."

It's just on repeat. Over and over and over.

That sounds terrible. Glad you don't have one anymore, and praying with you that you will be spared of that now. Hope your fast helps you to recover!

I'm doing fine, I'm putting the wartime cooking idea on the backburner for now because this lifestyle change is challenging enough for me without extra rules. I still adhere to the basic rules however: no soda during the week, limited sweets (two easter eggs or a slice of cake a day) and more protein and fats/less sugar in my diet. Those are the rules my RD approves of too, she's not so keen on the low fat/high carb mantra. She's more supportive of traditional diets which had more fat and meat but less sugar and junk. I like that.

I do intend to do the wartime ration challenge sooner or later, but I should only do it when I am able to do such things without triggering my ED. Currently that's too limited to not trigger it for me.
Glad you are doing fine. It sounds like a good plan to forego the wartime cooking for now. Like you said, you can always get back to it when the time is right.

Good job!

Today I treated myself to a nice plate of (wholemeal) pasta with a really simple sauce. Well, not properly only that, but I came back from another long walk in the afternoon carrying a small bottle of water, so I feel less guilty. I drank it all, also helped by the fact that it was really hot today.
Later on I'm going to do some exercises, mostly stretching.
I feel tired though, and it's not because of the long walk this afternoon or the one this morning. It's a mental tiredness, a loop that wraps up the days one after the other.
Mental strain is way worse than physical strain for me. I hope you are able to get some rest and relaxation soon.

I live near pretty much Ground Zero for the opioid problem here, not too far for one of the largest (if not the largest) illegal pill mill in the entire country.

When we first moved here, we'd go into restaurants or grocery stores and could look at people and just about figure out who was a meth user or an opioid user, just by the scabby faces, black teeth, listlessness, etc. Even now, the police docket in our local paper is just line after line of:

"Michael Wilson, 34, Main St, New Vienna, arrested for receiving stolen property and possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia."

"Janet Black, 22, Oak St, Blanchester, arrested for public intoxication and possession of a class A narcotic and drug paraphernalia."

Tommy Henderson, 54, Kingman St, Wilmington, arrested for domestic assault, possession of an unlicensed firearm, violation of restraining order, and possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia."

It's just on repeat. Over and over and over.
I count myself as fortunate in this regard. I've tried cigarettes and marijuana (safely with my husband at the time), drank beer and wine and have taken pain pills in the past. I have never become addicted to anything. I've seen what those things can do and how relatively quick the downfall actually is. Heartbreaking.

I count myself as fortunate in this regard. I've tried cigarettes and marijuana (safely with my husband at the time), drank beer and wine and have taken pain pills in the past. I have never become addicted to anything. I've seen what those things can do and how relatively quick the downfall actually is. Heartbreaking.
It's only my own personal experience, but I've lived most of my life around working musicians, and in my opinion, the legal stuff is worse than the illegal stuff. I've seen more damage from pills and booze than I have about anything else.

Back
Top Bottom