Recipe Mushroom Beignets

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:46 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is another of my old mushroom recipes from the now defunct BBC Vegetarian Good food Magazine back from 1994(?) . I have also found a similar version (minus the garlic and parsley) in an old Guardian article from 2001.

Ingredients
2 eggs
100g plain flour
75ml soya milk
Seasoning
400g mixed wild mushrooms
½ onion, sliced finely
4 garlic cloves, sliced finely
1-2tbsp finely chopped parsley
sunflower oil for frying

Method
  1. Cut the mushrooms into thin strips. If using cup mushrooms make sure you cut them into matchsticks.
  2. In a larger bowl add the flour, then gradually mix in the milk beating well to ensure no lumps, slowly thinning the mixture. Next beat in the eggs mixing thoroughly, then season to taste.
  3. finally add the mushrooms, onions, garlic and parsley mixing well ensuring all onions and mushrooms are well coated
  4. Heat roughly ½‐1cm of oil to a medium heat. Carefully add 1-2 tbsp of the mushroom batter at a time, frying each until brown and crispy. Turn over and cook the other side. I have very successfully used the air fryer to cook these and actually preferred the results.
  5. Store on kitchen paper and cover to keep warm whilst the remainder are cooked.
  6. Serve hot.

I'll add photos when I cook them over the weekend.

Edit: photos added, more to come

Last edited:
I've never hear od such a thing. Do they puff up like plain beignets?

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 1.24.20 AM.jpg

CD

I like the sound of this - I await the photos. I'm not sure they are technically 'beignets' in the American sense of the word.

Yeah. There is a fine line between the two, I guess. I like them both. My picture above is from Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. That's all I know for beignets.

CD
Yeah Exactly. For us Canadians a beignet for all intents and purpose is a donut and is usually make with a yeast. Most chefs internationally that mix ingredients into a batter, which this is, is called a fritter and not a donut/beignet. But it's perfectly acceptable to call it a beignet because it is a deep fried batter. A regional thing I suspect.

Yeah Exactly. For us Canadians a beignet for all intents and purpose is a donut and is usually make with a yeast. Most chefs internationally that mix ingredients into a batter, which this is, is called a fritter and not a donut/beignet. But it's perfectly acceptable to call it a beignet because it is a deep fried batter. A regional thing I suspect.

Cajun beignets came from Canada, when you guys threw the Acadians out of your country. Thanks for that, BTW. We got their food. :okay:

CD

Last edited:
Cajun beignets came from Canada, when you guys through the Acadians out of your country. Thanks for that, BTW. We got their food. :okay:

CD
Hehehe, your right, but Canada didn't exist then and I wasn't there at the time but I heard that the British took possession of pretty much everything leaving the Acadians in a lurch. Either sign up or get out. We, Canada did end up with a French province though, which we're thankful for, love Quebec.

I've never hear od such a thing. Do they puff up like plain beignets?

View attachment 70104

CD
I'll let you know when I make them this weekend!
I'm wandering now if I've remembered the type of flour correctly. I might use self raising instead. I was expecting something similar to a bhaji tbh! It's been a very long time since I last/first made them.

I'll let you know when I make them this weekend!
I'm wandering now if I've remembered the type of flour correctly. I might use self raising instead. I was expecting something similar to a bhaji tbh! It's been a very long time since I last/first made them.
You could add a little baking powder if using AP.

I would definitely use some kind of leavening. They are going to be very dense if nothing is used.

Think I would call them a fritter as well. A beignet is light and fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom