SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:11 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I made this as a what is left on the shelves soul but it has worked out very tasty, so thought I would write it up.

This serves 6 generously, 8 if you add more water/stock out serve it with something else like bread.

Ingredients
1 tbsp oil
1 pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
2-3 cloves of garlic finely shopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
300g chopped chestnut mushrooms
100g each of red lentils, green lentils, brown lentils, puy lentils and urid dal (optional).
100g soya mince (optional)
1l vegetable stock
½l water as needed.

Method
  1. Heat the cooking oil in a large saucepan, adding the asafoetida and the chopped onions and frying till translucent.
  2. Next add the remaining spices and the garlic, fry for a few moments stirring well, and add the chopped tomatoes leaving to simmer for a couple of minutes.
  3. Next add the stock, stir and add the Puy lentils which take the longest to cook.
  4. Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the white urid dahl, if you have them and stir well.
  5. Simmer for another 5 minutes before adding the brown lentils and stir well.
  6. Now add the remaining lentils which should all take the same amount of time to cook and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Check that there is enough stock/water in the pan during cooking and add more water as needed. I have found you don't need to add stock, just water.
  7. Finally add the mushrooms and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
  8. Now add the soya mince which takes about 3 minutes and is optional.
  9. I like to let the soup stand so that the flavours can mature, but that is also optional. Serve hot.

EDIT:
Just realised that I missed the tamarind dates out of the ingredients. 50-75g soaked in hot water. Use as much boiling water as you want and leave for a couple of hours then put through a sieve and add just before the lentils!

Last edited:
I am yet to put my hands on some mushrooms but this sure looks like something I would attempt. I want to get into making more soups as I have not been much of a soup person except for when someone is ill and I whip up a quick vegetable or chicken soup.

I made this as a what is left on the shelves soul but it has worked out very tasty, so thought I would write it up.

This serves 6 generously, 8 if you add more water/stock out serve it with something else like bread.

Ingredients
1 tbsp oil
1 pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
2-3 cloves of garlic finely shopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
300g chopped chestnut mushrooms
100g each of red lentils, green lentils, brown lentils, puy lentils and urid dal (optional).
100g soya mince (optional)
1l vegetable stock
½l water as needed.

Method
  1. Heat the cooking oil in a large saucepan, adding the asafoetida and the chopped onions and frying till translucent.
  2. Next add the remaining spices and the garlic, fry for a few moments stirring well, and add the chopped tomatoes leaving to simmer for a couple of minutes.
  3. Next add the stock, stir and add the Puy lentils which take the longest to cook.
  4. Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the white urid dahl, if you have them and stir well.
  5. Simmer for another 5 minutes before adding the brown lentils and stir well.
  6. Now add the remaining lentils which should all take the same amount of time to cook and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Check that there is enough stock/water in the pan during cooking and add more water as needed. I have found you don't need to add stock, just water.
  7. Finally add the mushrooms and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
  8. Now add the soya mince which takes about 3 minutes and is optional.
  9. I like to let the soup stand so that the flavours can mature, but that is also optional. Serve hot.
I do like the idea of mixing all the lentils (although, as I learned during the Challenge, Urid Dhal is not a lentil). Coincidentally, I was cooking black urid dhal today. The white ones are strange,. They go sort of waxy. I think that is good for combining with other ingredients or thickening sauces, but they aren't so appetising on their own. Anyway, this recipe is a festival of dhal and I'm loving it! The only thing I would possibly add would be a tarka splashed on top.

Just realised that I missed the tamarind dates out of the ingredients. 50-75g soaked in hot water. Use as much boiling water as you want and leave for a couple of hours then put through a sieve and add just before the lentils!

I am yet to put my hands on some mushrooms but this sure looks like something I would attempt. I want to get into making more soups as I have not been much of a soup person except for when someone is ill and I whip up a quick vegetable or chicken soup.
You could use any veg. I simply had mushrooms that needed using up and they went in naturally. Anything would work. Peas/beans/more tomatoes (whole baby ones), just name it. I think Aubergine would work really well because, well I just love it.

You could use any veg. I simply had mushrooms that needed using up and they went in naturally. Anything would work. Peas/beans/more tomatoes (whole baby ones), just name it. I think Aubergine would work really well because, well I just love it.
Aubergine is one of my favourite things too and it goes so well with lentils/beans.

Back
Top Bottom