My region: the produce & dishes

The Ramen Burger. Created by a Japanese chef from Los Angeles. It's a burger between ramen noodles instead of a bun. I'm a Ramen fan, but not sure if I've completely wrapped my head around it.

Speaking of Ramen noodles... I did bookmark a page with some pretty interesting Ramen ideas like Ramen Carbonara. (Ramen noodles with bacon, egg & cheese.) Asian meatballs and Ramen noodles. Chicken Noodle Soup with Ramen noodles. Pizza using Ramen noodles as the crust, etc. I love Ramen noodles. I have a stash in the pantry. Lol

P.S. I cook Ramen noodles in my rice cooker. Perfect every time.

P.P.S. Ramen Noodles. There's an idea for a challenge. Lol

Last edited:
Our province is Zuid Holland (South of Holland) and we're most well known internationally for our herring. Every year there is an auction for the newly caught herring and it's a big event. A History Of Raw Herring As A Dutch Delicacy, In One Minute . I personally don't like herring even though I like a lot of other (raw) fish so I'm not very fond of the tradition but definitely most Dutch people are.

Aside from that the Goudse Stroopwafel is also very popular and from my region. It's a spiced caramel wafer that's made fresh on our markets or sold pre packaged in supermarkets. Stroopwafel - Wikipedia . It's exported a lot to other countries, so I'm pretty sure you've eaten one or two.

And Gouda cheese is another one, obviously Goudse means it's from Gouda. I love fresh farmer's Gouda cheese, but that's hard to get outside of the Netherlands. Most Gouda cheese that is exported is made on an industrial scale and therefore less prolific in flavor. I still recommend trying it if you get a chance though. Gouda cheese - Wikipedia

To finish off I want to add Haagse Hopjes to the list, a type of candy specific to the town I live in. It is a coffee flavoured kind of hard candy, produced only in this city since 1880 . Hopje - Wikipedia .

This is just the top of the iceberg, there is in fact very much local produce in this small country. The Dutch have a reputation for being sub-par in the culinary department, but that's only true when you ignore traditions like this.

Gouda cheese is special, I love it very much.
Some years ago I have been to Amsterdam and I went to a typical Dutch restaurant...well, I still remember that fab meal - I have particularly appreciated a soup made with beer and goat's cheese, just outstanding.
I've also loved herrings cooked and sold as street food on the vans

Aside from that the Goudse Stroopwafel is also very popular and from my region. It's a spiced caramel wafer that's made fresh on our markets or sold pre packaged in supermarkets. Stroopwafel - Wikipedia . It's exported a lot to other countries, so I'm pretty sure you've eaten one or two.
I have a box of those right now - one left!

Moving to the Midlands I have come across local food that is not generally available in the rest of England. Nearby counties have many recognisable food that are readily available in UK supermarkets, such as:

Buxton spring water
Cheshire Cheesse
Stilton
Buston BLue
Dovedale Blue
Melton Mowbray Pork Pies
Bakewell Tart and Pudding
Marstons Beer from Burton on Trent, which is also famoud for Marmite, and (I just found out) Branston Pickle.

So, in my adopted county we have
Oatcakes - These are very local and have an interssting history which I will tell...)
Pikeltes are similat but thicker and smaller and can be found in suprtmarkets outside Staffordshire.
Lobby - This is a beef and vegetable stew eaten by the local workers from the pits and the potteries - another story to tell later. It is less famous than the siimilar dish of Scouse which is a similar dish made with lamb rather than beef and is traditional is Loverpool (not too far away).
Cheeses. Lots, including Staffordshire cheese which has EU protected status, but still not readily available outside Stafforshire. Vhersddleston cheese.
Beer - Lots, indcluding the Titanic Brewery ehich has won lots of awards and hisavailable in some suprtmarkets across the UK. Do try if you can find it, especially the Plum Porter!

Most local supermarkets stock oatcakes from, cheese, strawberries, eggs, and a few other things.

Lesser known:

Water! Spring water from Staffordshire is used for own brnad warter at Lidl and Aldi.
Venison
Yeomanry Pudding
Whip Syllabub

I dont know if there is a name for it but a lot of people reminisce of Sunday 'tea' with tunned salmon accompanied by a cucumber salad made with thinly sliced cucumber and onion with white vinegar and a pinch of salt. And for afters tinned druit salad with carnation milk (though my guess was the result of rationing)

Commonly eaten:
The food eaten in this county (I've found) is quite traditional (apart from the penchant for non-traditional curries. Having lived in London most of my life I am used to a wide variety of cuisines being available). So people eat a lot (and are sold in shops/pobs) of pies, stews and roasts.

Fish and chip shops in the region sell a choice of curry sauce, muchy peas or gravy to accompany your meal, and also potato scallops (a battered, deep fried slice of potato.

i'll illustrate this more.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Have I missed anything?

I've lived in a few othre places in the UK which I dont think are covered by our membership so I'll type us some regional dishes form East London, Sussex and the Isle of Wight and a few other places, but I'm leaving Kent to @morning glory.​

Last edited:
@Windigo: I am a huge fan of Gouda; I will have to see if I can find some from a dairy farm, because I expect the taste to be even better. I also have enjoyed stroopswafel. But, I think the only herring I've ever had was pickled.

To finish off I want to add Haagse Hopjes to the list, a type of candy specific to the town I live in. It is a coffee flavoured kind of hard candy, produced only in this city since 1880 . Hopje - Wikipedia .
This looks amazing:

hollandse-hopjes-recept.png

I doubt even specialty markets have it around here, but I know I can order some on-line.

Moving to the Midlands I have come across local food that is not generally available in the rest of England. Nearby counties have many recognisable food that are readily available in UK supermarkets, such as:

Buxton spring water
Cheshire Cheesse
Stilton
Buston BLue
Dovedale Blue
Melton Mowbray Pork Pies
Bakewell Tart and Pudding
Marstons Beer from Burton on Trent, which is also famoud for Marmite, and (I just found out) Branston Pickle.

So, in my adopted county we have
Oatcakes - These are very local and have an interssting history which I will tell...)
Pikeltes are similat but thicker and smaller and can be found in suprtmarkets outside Staffordshire.
Lobby - This is a beef and vegetable stew eaten by the local workers from the pits and the potteries - another story to tell later. It is less famous than the siimilar dish of Scouse which is a similar dish made with lamb rather than beef and is traditional is Loverpool (not too far away).
Cheeses. Lots, including Staffordshire cheese which has EU protected status, but still not readily available outside Stafforshire. Vhersddleston cheese.
Beer - Lots, indcluding the Titanic Brewery ehich has won lots of awards and hisavailable in some suprtmarkets across the UK. Do try if you can find it, especially the Plumb Porter!

Most local supermarkets stock oatcakes from, cheese, strawberries, eggs, and a few other things.

Lesser known:

Water! Spring water from Staffordshire is used for own brnad warter at Lidl and Aldi.
Venison
Yeomanry Pudding
Whip Syllabub

I dont know if there is a name for it but a lot of people reminisce of Sunday 'tea' with tunned salmon accompanied by a cucumber salad made with thinly sliced cucumber and onion with white vinegar and a pinch of salt. And for afters tinned druit salad with carnation milk (though my guess was the result of rationing)

Commonly eaten:
The food eaten in this county (I've found) is quite traditional (apart from the penchant for non-traditional curries. Having lived in London most of my life I am used to a wide variety of cuisines being available). So people eat a lot (and are sold in shops/pobs) of pies, stews and roasts.

Fish and chip shops in the region sell a choice of curry sauce, muchy peas or gravy to accompany your meal, and also potato scallops (a battered, deep fried slice of potato.

i'll illustrate this more.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Have I missed anything?

I've lived in a few othre places in the UK which I dont think are covered by our membership so I'll type us some regional dishes form East London, Sussex and the Isle of Whight and a few other places, but I'm leaving Kent to @morning glory.
I remember those teas, on a Sunday after church!

Very interested in the history, but also in a recipe. :)

I am, however, weeping that there doesn't seem to be a path for me to get that plum porter, except to travel to Europe. Maybe one day I will find a local distributor. The brewery does ship the beer, but not here. :(

plum_porter.png

Gouda cheese is special, I love it very much.
Some years ago I have been to Amsterdam and I went to a typical Dutch restaurant...well, I still remember that fab meal - I have particularly appreciated a soup made with beer and goat's cheese, just outstanding.
I've also loved herrings cooked and sold as street food on the vans

Yes Dutch food is definitely not as bad as it's made out to be -provided you know where to look. Glad you enjoyed that meal :)

And if you can find Farmers cheese I definitely recommend it, I think that proves why our cheeses are famous.

@Windigo: I am a huge fan of Gouda; I will have to see if I can find some from a dairy farm, because I expect the taste to be even better. I also have enjoyed stroopswafel. But, I think the only herring I've ever had was pickled.

This looks amazing:

View attachment 32166

I doubt even specialty markets have it around here, but I know I can order some on-line.

Our fresh herring gets pickled too, but it's not pickled to preserve it. I just don't like it because I don't like herring.

The hopjes are a nice treat with a cup of coffee.

Another North Texas treat that I think I mentioned in a soda names thread is Dr. Pepper. It is available all over the world, now, but was introduced commercially in 1885 in Waco, Texas. That's one year before Coca Cola. Dr. Pepper's corporate headquarters is still in the Dallas metropolitan area (Plano).

I don't drink carbonated soft drinks very often, but I do like an ice cold Dr. Pepper.

CD

Another North Texas treat that I think I mentioned in a soda names thread is Dr. Pepper. It is available all over the world, now, but was introduced commercially in 1885 in Waco, Texas. That's one year before Coca Cola. Dr. Pepper's corporate headquarters is still in the Dallas metropolitan area (Plano).

I don't drink carbonated soft drinks very often, but I do like an ice cold Dr. Pepper.

CD

Yeah I like one too once in a while, didn't know it was Texan.

When I was drinking sugared pop, I loved Dr. Pepper. Another regional thing, maybe - in the winter, we'd fix "hot Dr. Pepper" by gently heating a saucepan full and floating lemon slices in it. It really is a nice treat when it's cold out.

@morning glory - it's a pop, so yeah, it's sweet. It's got a very unique taste - I think prune juice is one of the ingredients - and it has a slight cherry syrup flavor, maybe? It's a dark pop, not light like a Sprite.

CD
I'm a native Texan, I grew up drinking Dr Pepper. Every weekend my Dad would take us to Circle K and buy us a Dr Pepper. (Dr Pepper and Hostess Cupcakes) Dr Pepper is my ultimate treat! I've been weaning myself off of it. I want to quit drinking carbonation.

Back
Top Bottom