My region: the produce & dishes

Presumably it has its roots in France if it came via French Canadians. The French boudin blanc is also usually made from pork with breadcrumbs and cream added to bind rather than rice and is most definitely a sausage, eaten hot as part of a main course. Some of the Cajun Boudin images I've seen look very similar to the French in that the sausage is pale. But there does seem to be a wide variety of textures & colours. The one in your video looks much richer and 'reddish brown'.

Yes, it obviously has roots in France, but the amazing thing about American foods with European roots is that they are adapted to what was readily available to poor immigrants when they got here.

I never saw a lot of blood boudin (boudin noir) in cajun country when I lived there, but it is basically boudin with blood added. Don't know why... it probably doesn't mass produce easily.

But, Southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas -- cajun country -- is the only place you might find more boudin than hot dogs or donuts. :okay:

CD

Shropshire has a few local specialities:

Fidget Pie, a bit like a pork pie crossed with a Cornish Pasty, dates back 400 years+.

I've done a fidget pie. Was rather nice.

Local specialities.

Ormers, a kind of abalone. I think there was a thread on them some time ago.

Ormers (and Abalone)

Beanjar. a dish of a pork hock, beef shin, onion, dried beans (soaked overnight) another one that there was a thread about earlier.

Conger soup

Gache Melee

Guernsey Gache

Guernsey/Jersey Wonders

Last edited:
Gâche melée is pronounced perhaps unusually to some.

Gâche is pronounced almost exactly like gosh but there is a subtle difference when you hear a Guern pronounce it.

Melée is pronounced something like muh (flat) lar.

I really need to make some Chicken Fried Steak to share (existentially) on the forum. I usually go out for CFS because I know a few places that make it so well -- and CFS with my favorite sides makes a mess of my kitchen. But, in the interest of sharing, I should do it.

The worst part is, after eating my CFS and sides, I will want to take a nap, not clean the kitchen.

CD

Last edited:
I really need to make some Chicken Fried Steak to share (existentially) on the forum. I usually go out for CFS because I know a few places that make it so well -- and CFS with my favorite side makes a mess of my kitchen. But, in the interest of sharing, I should do it.

The worst part is, after eating my CFS and sides, I will want to take a nap, not clean the kitchen.

CD
That's one of my go-to comfort foods. Breaded steak, white peppered gravy, some potatoes on the side...what more does one need out of life?

I cant tell for sure from the photo, but those kind of look like we call Spiny Lobsters. Lots of tail meat, and no big "crusher" claws.

CD

Hard to see from pick, but big tail meat like lobsters but no big claw. These were quite big around 1 to 1.5 kg ea. if you bought from shop they would be approx $50 ea.

Russ

I really need to make some Chicken Fried Steak to share (existentially) on the forum. I usually go out for CFS because I know a few places that make it so well -- and CFS with my favorite side makes a mess of my kitchen. But, in the interest of sharing, I should do it.

CD

I have frozen cfs I need to cook, real soon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom