My region: the produce & dishes

When I was drinking sugared pop, I loved Dr. Pepper. Another regional thing, maybe - in the winter, we'd fix "hot Dr. Pepper" by gently heating a saucepan full and floating lemon slices in it. It really is a nice treat when it's cold out.

@morning glory - it's a pop, so yeah, it's sweet. It's got a very unique taste - I think prune juice is one of the ingredients - and it has a slight cherry syrup flavor, maybe? It's a dark pop, not light like a Sprite.

Hot Dr Pepper? Wow, I would have never thought of doing that.

Every weekend my Dad would take us to Circle K and buy us a Dr Pepper
My dad worked for a bottling company (which included Dr. Pepper). One of the "benefits" was that we always had a working fountain dispenser, like what you'd see in a restaurant, on the back porch!

And you really should try some hot Dr. Pepper, just heat up a bottle along with a couple of lemon slices. Don't boil it, though.

The Ramen Burger. Created by a Japanese chef from Los Angeles. It's a burger between ramen noodles instead of a bun. I'm a Ramen fan, but not sure if I've completely wrapped my head around it.

Speaking of Ramen noodles... I did bookmark a page with some pretty interesting Ramen ideas like Ramen Carbonara. (Ramen noodles with bacon, egg & cheese.) Asian meatballs and Ramen noodles. Chicken Noodle Soup with Ramen noodles. Pizza using Ramen noodles as the crust, etc. I love Ramen noodles. I have a stash in the pantry. Lol

P.S. I cook Ramen noodles in my rice cooker. Perfect every time.

P.P.S. Ramen Noodles. There's an idea for a challenge. Lol
Here's a link to see the Ramen Burger, and other Ramen ideas. Some look pretty good. I like Ramen noodles, and I cannot lie.
Ramen French Onion Soup??? Maybe.

These Homemade Noodle Recipes Are So Much Better Than Instant Ramen

Last edited:
Hot Dr Pepper? Wow, I would have never thought of doing that.

The guy across the hall from me in my college dorm drank a cup of hot Dr. Pepper every morning instead of coffee. He was from Pampa, in the Texas panhandle. He said it was popular "back home." I never tried it.

CD

When I was drinking sugared pop, I loved Dr. Pepper. Another regional thing, maybe - in the winter, we'd fix "hot Dr. Pepper" by gently heating a saucepan full and floating lemon slices in it. It really is a nice treat when it's cold out.

@morning glory - it's a pop, so yeah, it's sweet. It's got a very unique taste - I think prune juice is one of the ingredients - and it has a slight cherry syrup flavor, maybe? It's a dark pop, not light like a Sprite.

The prune juice thing is not true, according to Dr. Pepper. They are very secretive about the recipe, but they have said prune juice is NOT part of the recipe.

CD

Growing up in Port Arthur, on the Gulf coast near the Louisiana border, every convenience store had some boudin in a steamer to grab and go, much the way convenience stores in most places in the US have hot dogs, wings or pizza to go.

I can get boudin at Kroger in Dallas, but only one brand, and it is certainly not made fresh in the store. That is definitely a food only widely available in one region -- Cajun country.

When I go to Port Arthur now, I always bring a cooler to load up with fresh boudin.

CD

Are we talking about sausages here? As in the French boudin blanc and boudin noir?

Not really. Cajun boudin IS a sausage, made with rice and pork. It is not the same as what they make in France. It comes from French/Canadians that fled persecution in Canada to Southwest Louisiana. Rice was plentiful and cheap, as were pigs. Poor immigrants eat what is plentiful and cheap.

Here is a fantastic video about boudin (and to some degree, Cajun food traditions) -- the best one I have seen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy22OziLCI

You also get to hear some genuine Cajun English being spoken.

CD

Last edited:
Cajun boudin IS a sausage, made with rice and pork. It is not the same as what they make in France

Presumably it has its roots in France if it came via French Canadians. The French boudin blanc is also usually made from pork with breadcrumbs and cream added to bind rather than rice and is most definitely a sausage, eaten hot as part of a main course. Some of the Cajun Boudin images I've seen look very similar to the French in that the sausage is pale. But there does seem to be a wide variety of textures & colours. The one in your video looks much richer and 'reddish brown'.

Back
Top Bottom