Retro Recipe Old Fashioned 70's curried chicken

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
1:48 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
243732030_4096664593793406_8959115126888802755_n (1).jpg

Chicken curry the way my grandma made it. It's in no way authentic, and doesn't claim to be. But it is pretty tasty, so I decided to share it anyway! In Dutch it's called 'Kip kerrie' which is literally 'chicken in curry spice' and so it doesn't claim to be a 'curry' which is an authentic Indian dish. But I couldn't think of the English language variant for Kip kerrie. Either way, this dish is Kip kerrie. And not Indian curry.

Ingredients:
500 g chicken breast or chicken thigh depending on your preferences. Cut into thick strips.
100 ml creme fraiche
150 ml greek yoghurt
2 heaped tablespoons of yellow curry powder (like the mild variety from Schwartz)
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
1 big white onion
50 g of butter
1/2 chicken stock cube
200 ml water
1 tsp of ghee or sunflower oil
Cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Peel the onion. Then cut the onion in quarters, then fine strips. Add the oil to a sautee pan, put on a medium heat. Add the onions and some salt. Sautee until they start to color, then turn the heat lower and stir occasionaly until your onions are golden and fragrant. Make sure to not burn them. Turn off the heat.
2) Use a different pan to sautee the chicken fast on the outside, searing it slightly. When golden on the outside, turn off the fire.
3) Add the garlic & ginger to the onions , stir gently for a minute or so until the garlic is translucent. Add the chicken from the other pan, and the stock cube and the curry powder. Then add water. Let simmer for 10 minutes, or until the water has almost evaporated. Then add the cream, cornstarch (according to package) and yoghurt, stirring until mixed well. Add a dollop of honey if more sweetness is desired. Let simmer for another 10 minutes. Grate some black pepper to taste over it.
4) Serve with rice and veggies of your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks! Like you said about yourself in the other thread, it's not earth shattering but it's good comfort food

Comfort food and nostalgia. Lovely! I'd chuck some chopped green chiliies in as I like hot curries. But this is an 'authentic' 70's home-made curry.

Yeah I know, I just didn't want to share it with raisins because it's slightly controversial :laugh: I prefer mine without, anyway. But I wouldn't refuse one with raisins.

It's funny how one ingredient can change the dish. If I'm adding raisins, I'd feel obligated to use ras el hanout and make it more of a North African dish.

Back
Top Bottom