Old, retro, or simply weird kitchen gadgets

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Cookbooks & Recipes' started by epicuric, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

001.jpg

My toaster oven looks kind of old & retro, but it still works perfectly!! Great for when you don't want to heat up your regular oven, which in turn, would heat up the kitchen!! :wink:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I use mine a lot - used it tonight to cook sausages.

Shermie likes this.
  3. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I think I'll use mine today to bake some hamburger / noodle stroganoff! :wink:

4. oddduck

oddduck Well-Known Member

Sadly new pyrex, at least in the U.S. ain't like the old stuff...its made from a different glass. Its now made by Worldkitchen in China. I collect vintage pyrex. The milkglass kind with the pretty designs outside. I did find a few english pyrex at the thrift and it was different, more like corningware than pyrex. Any other pyrex collector on the forums?

morning glory likes this.
  5. morning glory

I used to use it more but lately I use cookware which looks good for food photos - so enamelware, ceramic and most recently cast-iron. Pyrex doesn't add much visual appeal to photos, excellent though it is for cooking.

6. oddduck

Really? There are so many cute, pretty and fanciful designs. My favorite is the friendship pattern. And there is always the tried and true spring blossom, i have that design in a lasagna pan 134E2476-0862-4B09-AE9C-65BA78F27937.jpeg

I really need to take more photos of my pyrex cause i think that is the only piece i have a photo of. But I'm sure there is something you'll find visually appealing here https://pyrex.cmog.org/pattern-library

Shermie likes this.
  7. morning glory

Oh - my mistake! I was thinking of the plain transparent glass type of pyrex which is what I used to have and mostly what I see in charity shops. I love those coloured retro designs! They are not often found here. Or at least, not in my experience.

8. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Now THAT'S retro!!

You don't see that color around now. :wink:

9. oddduck

My oldest piece of pyrex is from 1919 and it is clear but a very nice size for a small side dish casserole. The milkglass pyrex dates from the 1940's to the 1980's. But it is not dishwasher safe so that has been the death of many a cute pyrex ware...dishwashered to death...it basically sanded the finish off the outside of the glass.

morning glory likes this.
  10. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Pyrex Glass Cake Pans..jpg

Just ordered the last 2 of THESE; Pyrex Glass Cake pans from Amazon.com.. Now they are out of them! The old stuff is going like hot cakes!! :wink:

11. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

IMG_0920.JPG
    Not kitchen gadgets, but more likely found in the dining room.

Shermie likes this.
  12. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

IMG_0919.JPG
    Remember these? This is quite a luxury model I saw in a charity shop recently.

Herbie, Karen W and Shermie like this.
  13. morning glory

That's gorgeous - and worth a lot of money these days. I was trying to read the price tag...

14. oddduck

It looks like a toy kitchen...so cute...i have never seen anything like that for adults.

15. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

My Grandmother had one of these.
    0dc2bb1f586bf8c1595c1c06525a79f20ac8e9be.jpg
    Love Art Deco.
    24f1135ad54781e7d02cff615fc00118.jpg

Shermie and epicuric like this.