Recipe Onion Squash, Parsnip and Ginger Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:38 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is from the book Green Word Cookbook by Rachel Demuth as part of the Cookbook Challenge no 5.

The recipe is straight forward enough, though my ability to obtain Onion Squash was a challenge but I did have something that looked the same as the picture, I just don't think that it was an onion squash. It was one that grew in my garden from a giveaway last year. It was exceptionally heavy for its size coming in at over 3kg in weight yet not 10 inches in diameter and surprisingly easy to cut into.

The soup is a puree which is good because that works well with us. It was OK. The parsnip wasn't obvious to me and the ginger was an after taste more than anything else. It was subtle and not overpowering but we noticed that it disappeared on reheating the following day. If I was to make it again, I would probably add more parsnip and much more ginger (if I was after a ginger taste) and both the lemon and coriander (leaf) needed to be doubled at least. I would probably add some ground cumin and ground coriander as well. Plus the soup needed extra stock to add something that was missing from the taste.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
500g onion squash, peeled and roughly chopped
250g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
1 litre veg stock
1 tbsp lemon juice
seasonings
fresh coriander, chopped

Method
  1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant.
  2. Add the squash, parsnips and vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for15 minutes or so until the veg is soft and cooked.
  3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool until safe to puree in a liquidiser. Add more stock if the puree is too thick
  4. Add the lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve with a sprinkling of coriander.

It looks a lovely colour - I reckon you could probably use any squash. In my experience they all taste pretty similar - bit maybe I've not eaten enough different squash to know. What are the little lumpy bits?

I note your critique. In the past I've so often found that recipes are too light on spices and herbs - its one of the many reasons I rarely follow recipes!

What are the little lumpy bits?
They are the Ikea veggie balls mentioned in the description.

In the past I've so often found that recipes are too light on spices and herbs

And yes, ordinarily I would have doubled all of the herbs and spices by default, tasted it butane then tinkered to our tastes, but with this game, as you know, it's meant to be to the recipe.

I'm pretty certain most squashes could be used, but not all. There are a few I don't think would work with it, spaghetti squash and the Japp squash are 2 that immediately spring to mind.

The colour is from the unknown squash I grew. It had a fantastic colour and taste to it but sadly because it wasn't pollinated, or it ran into a short season, the seeds were not fertile. I'll have too see if I can find the lollipop stick it's name was written on and see if it had survived the winter which I doubt.

Back
Top Bottom