Recipe Orange-miso coated tofu and asparagus

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:40 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've adapted the recipe from here and added some suggestions from this site where I got the recipe from. It is suggested that it is served over rice but I think it could work with pasta as well. I would also suggest that if you have time try to marinate the tofu for 12-24hrs in the fridge first. The flavour of the marinade should permeate the tofu better that way and I know that it always improves the flavour of tofu. If marinating the tofu you may want to double the miso and vinegar (not the oil) and if needed add a little water to thin the marinade a touch.

I'll report back in a week or so as to how it tastes. All of next week's meals are already planned, so it will have to go onto the following week's meal list.

orange miso tofu.JPG

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pack (14 oz) extra-firm tofu (you could use tempeh if you wanted)
  • 2 tbsp red miso, (see Ingredient Note)
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tps extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (you can really use any veg you want here such as broccoli, cauliflower, beans etc)
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 75ml (1/4 cup) fresh orange juice
  • Handful of sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds to decorate
PREPARATION
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F/230C/gas 8 and coat a large baking sheet with a light covering of oil.
  2. Drain the tofu well, leaving it pressed between a sheet and colander for an hour before chopping it into 1/2-inch cubes.
  3. Mix 1 tbsp miso, 1 tbsp vinegar and 2 tsps oil in a large bowl until smooth.
  4. Add the tofu and gently toss to coat. If you have time leave the tofu to marinate for up to 24hours, covered in a fridge.
  5. Spread the tofu in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes.
  6. Gently mix in the asparagus with the tofu and return to the oven and roast until the tofu is golden brown and the asparagus is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
  7. Meanwhile mix the remaining miso, vinegar and oil with the basil, orange zest and orange juice in a large bowl and season to taste.
  8. Toss the roasted tofu and asparagus with the sauce, sprinkle over the seeds and serve.
Ingredient note.
  • Red miso (akamiso) is a salty fermented paste made from barley or rice and soybeans. In the UK you will probably only find it in the fridge in health food shops, but you could try substituting it with sweet white miso which can now be purchased in most larger supermarkets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom