Plans for today (2024)

The most recent nurse who’s stopped by (one of about 17 who’ve been in here, I reckon) would not stop apologizing or talking in general:

“Are you nursing or pregnant I know I know you’re not but I gotta legally ask I have to ask everyone including women who are in for a sex change and they get so mad sometimes and I tell them sorry but I gotta legally ask and I’m gonna just put these stickers on you here sorry my hands are cold everyone says girl did you put those in the freezer and I just laugh and say sorry I don’t know but they’re always just that cold and sorry I gotta expose you here for a minute and sorry sir I know you’re her husband and you’ve probably seen it all before but you’d be surprised how many women say no not in front of him and I don’t even know what to think of that and now we just have to wait for the surgeon to see you he has to sign a paper before legally I can take you back then there will be a device rep here don’t worry about that they’re always here they sometimes have to program a device but not your device but they help decide the right size and all that and I think the rep today is Pamela she’s real nice but the surgeon can’t legally start the procedure until she’s here and she’s not here yet and now I better go find him because who knows where he’s gotten off to you know all the nurses like working with him because and I probably shouldn’t say it but let’s just say he’s sure easy to look at that’s for sure sorry about that sir I’m sure you don’t have a thing to worry about you’re looking real spiffy too but us nurses well he’s not just good-looking but he’s real nice too and treats everybody real good and I’ve got to go find him now because I can’t legally take you back until…”

Take a breath, please!
She sounds like the sort of nurse who ferries people to and from theatre but isn't actually allowed in 😂

All jobs completed bar dropping off the Easter eggs but that's ok I can do that next week.

The lacquer (water based) raised the wood grain horribly, it's going to take a lot of sanding and coats to bury it. Hmph!

Son arrives in a minute, he's a student and always runs out of money before his next student loan arrives.

Mothers intuition tells me this before he mentions it so being the good mama I am I swoop in with a long list of horrible jobs I dont want to do in exchange for cold hard cash 😂
He's doesn't know it yet but tomoz he'll be a very busy bee!

Last edited:
MrsT is out now and grumpy as all get-out. Procedure went fine, but they had an issue closing up one of the entry points and had to do it the old-fashioned way to get it to hold, earning her an extra two hours in recovery. Hopefully, we’re out of here by 4:30PM.

MrsT is out now and grumpy as all get-out. Procedure went fine, but they had an issue closing up one of the entry points and had to do it the old-fashioned way to get it to hold, earning her an extra two hours in recovery. Hopefully, we’re out of here by 4:30PM.
When it's someone else's family and it's a routine op you always just assume everything will be fine, because statistically it usually is BUT when you or yours are under the knife those statistics don't hold the same sway and it can be immensely stressful so I'm glad Mrs T's ok, you have earned an XL sized cocktail!

I hope your hospital is better about gauging the release time more accurately than some of our hospitals are. Last time my MIL was in (Cleveland Clinic), they said she would be out in a few hours (that was at 1 pm), and they finally released her at 6:30 pm.

I hope your hospital is better about gauging the release time more accurately than some of our hospitals are. Last time my MIL was in (Cleveland Clinic), they said she would be out in a few hours (that was at 1 pm), and they finally released her at 6:30 pm.
Ah yes I always used to explain its hospital minutes not real minutes 😂

Yep - they had her out at 4:30PM on the dot.

Of course, the last thing the nurse said was to keep an eye on the dressing, and a little oozing was fine, but “if that fem’ral blows, yah got tah get d’rect pressure on it fer 10 minutes, an’ it’s gonna hurt, but otherwise, it’s ‘bout two minutes ‘til yah bleed out, so jus’ honk down on it real good an’ call 911. Have a good night now!”

😐

You do not want to say something like that to MrsT.

Yep - they had her out at 4:30PM on the dot.

Of course, the last thing the nurse said was to keep an eye on the dressing, and a little oozing was fine, but “if that fem’ral blows, yah got tah get d’rect pressure on it fer 10 minutes, an’ it’s gonna hurt, but otherwise, it’s ‘bout two minutes ‘til yah bleed out, so jus’ honk down on it real good. Have a good night now!”

😐

You do not want to say something like that to MrsT.
Yeah, bleeding out from the femoral artery would be bad. Pretty darned bad. Well bleeding out from any artery would be bad...saying something like that doesn't exactly put you at ease now, does it?

When I had my gall bladder out, I was in surgery at 2:30 PM and back home by 8 PM, just like they said I would be. I love hospitals that mean what they say.

Well in the UK they do mean it when they say it but people are organic matter and because of that it’s a bit like DIY, a job can look straight forward and you may have done it a thousand times but sometimes it takes longer than anticipated.

All that has a knock on effect on discharges, it needs to be written up but the nurse is still stuck with a patient doing a 10 minute job that is taking and hour and the surgeon is held up in theatre because someone’s surgery was more complicated the allotted time allowed so no medications or follow up plan are signed off, then you add in the hold ups in pharmacy because everyone is requesting medications at the same time and really it’s a wonder anyone ever leaves on time.
Mostly the staff don’t.

But it would be much better to over estimate than under. People are happy to be discharged earlier than anticipated and get stroppy if it’s late. Heyho.
It’s common knowledge in the UK a ‘hospital five minutes’ is anywhere between 15 mins and 4 hours 😆

Mostly it’s just good they’ve spent their careers honing skills to provide effective treatments and safe care.

Last edited:
Saturday gravy is on the stove. Chicken is in the marinade. I'm just waiting for the tamarind to defrost a little to finish the dipping sauce.

Just have to brown the meatballs and sausage, put the braciole together and brown it, then simmer all for a bit. Cook pasta and dinner tonight is done.

Back
Top Bottom