Plans for today (2024)

Off to the big international market in about a half-hour - first time I’ve been in a couple of months, I think.

I’ve got to hard-boil (as in hard-air fry :laugh: ) some eggs in order to get a jumpstart on tomorrow.

Turkey-and-Swiss-on-rye sandwiches for tonight, not sure what the side will be.

Already cooked the dried, cracked hominy I soaked overnight so it's cooling. Need to do some things outside, make a Mexican hominy salad for later use, put together a hominy breakfast casserole to bake tomorrow morning, portion and freeze remaining hominy for later use, hopefully get in a recipe using peanut butter and hominy, but got to get to grocery for a couple of things. Milk, fresh thyme and bay leaf have been heated to just bubbles around edge, will cool and be used as a marinade for chicken tonight. Prep for barley risotto tonight. I'll be pooped if I get it all done.

Plans for today included doing some washing and cleaning the grass from the garden, because the gardener came on Thursday, mowed about 500 mts2 of grass and left it on the surface on purpose. Why? I need fewer black bags to dispose of it when it's dried in the sun.
Off to do last minute chores right now, and then back to pack my suitcase for Monday.

Mexican hominy salad is made except for dressing. We apparently didn't make it home with the limes or they were accidentally thrown away.

Breakfast casserole is made and ready to bake.

Chicken is marinating.

Mexican hominy salad is made except for dressing. We apparently didn't make it home with the limes or they were accidentally thrown away.

Breakfast casserole is made and ready to bake.

Chicken is marinating.
Kippers and brown bread tomoz morn (or Hash brown waffles n Eggs as back up for those not in a kipper mood) but I do LOVE a breakfast casserole, whats in yours?

I am leaving in a bit to go help my nephew and his wife paint the nursery. The baby's due date is the day after my birthday. I hope she comes a day early :). After that, I will come home and make shrimp cocktail and cocktail sauce, deviled eggs, and smoked salmon dip for 12 people to bring to Easter brunch at their house. I might have enough energy to make some sugar-free nut butter cookies for my nephew's wife.

Edit: So I texted my nephew around 2:15 to let him know I would be there around 3:15 (originally I had told him 3) and he responded 30 minutes later, right after I had donned my painting clothes and was getting ready to leave, to tell me that they were still putting up bead board and caulking...so I said we could paint next Saturday if that worked for them. I am actually glad, because I would rather get started on my cooking. I just put 15 eggs on to boil and am thawing out the 2 pounds of jumbo shrimp I am cooking for tomorrow. The smoked salmon dip can wait until tonight. I am thinking about a nap when the eggs are done.

Last edited:
Hominy is a southern, SW American, Mexican cuisine thing. It kind of looks like cooked popcorn, but it's soft and solid inside. By itself, just like grits, it doesn't have much of a taste. It has to be seasoned well. I can't find a decent picture in any of my old ones unfortunately.

We got freebie packages of dried cracked hominy and chickpeas via Craig's medical insurance plan. We got the mashed potato flakes I used to make quick gnocchi the same way. Got some avocado oil I haven't cracked open yet as well. He also gets over the counter medical items as well. He gets a separate allowance for food and medical items each month. I figure we'd use since it's lost if it doesn't get used each month. But, I'm actually running out of things to order already and it's only been 3 months!

I love hominy and will eat it with just some butter in it. Craig is eh about it, he'd rather have potatoes, but it's okay. Craig is not fond of chickpeas much, though I've found a couple of ways he will eat them as long as I start out with dried and cooked at home. So, I decided to cook the whole bag of hominy since it has to be soaked overnight and cooked for a good while until it softens. I'll probably make roasted red bell hummus and maybe make oven roasted crispy spicy chickpeas, plus find something else with the chickpeas eventually.

I'll post pics when we eat the dishes.
As far as the potato flakes go, I had a friend in Florida who was a boat captain and nearly always had fresh fish in the refrigerator. He had run out of flour or any other type of breading one night and he and his wife used potato flakes to coat it and pan-fried the fish (it was grouper) in butter. He said it was amazing. And SandwichShortOfAPicnic, it was gluten free!

As far as the potato flakes go, I had a friend in Florida who was a boat captain and nearly always had fresh fish in the refrigerator. He had run out of flour or any other type of breading one night and he and his wife used potato flakes to coat it and pan-fried the fish (it was grouper) in butter. He said it was amazing. And SandwichShortOfAPicnic, it was gluten free!

I believe it. I was actually surprised how well the gnocchi turned out. Don't think I'll make mashed potatoes with them though.

Have you ever seen fish with potato "scales"? I've seen it made but never tried it.

Don't think I'll make mashed potatoes with them though.

Have you ever seen fish with potato "scales"? I've seen it made but never tried it.
No I don't believe I have seen that. I can't stand potato flakes used for mashed potatoes. Yuck.

Back
Top Bottom