Recipe Potato & Tomato with Coconut

karadekoolaid

Über Member
Local time
2:00 PM
This has to be one of my favourite Indian dishes. Simple to make, extraordinarily tasty, and not hot!

Ingredients
(For 6-8)

600 gms potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tbsps Ghee or oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 or three whole dried chiles
150 gms freshly grated coconut (decimated coconut is not good enough)
1 tsp turmeric powder
500 gms fresh, ripe tomatoes, cut into 6-8 pieces
2 tsps cumin powder
3/4 cup water
2 tsps sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar

Method:
  • Heat the ghee/oil in a medium sized pan with a tight-fitting lid and add the cumin seeds, garlic and whole chiles. Stir fry for about 30 seconds. Now add the coconut and fry until it changes colour.
  • Add the potatoes, tomatoes, turmeric and salt, and stir continuously until the potatoes take on a little colour from the spices.
  • Add the water, bring to a boil, then immediately lower the temperature to a minimum and put the lid on the pan.
  • Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the cumin powder. Mix well and replace the lid.
  • Cook for about another 10-15 minutes, checking occasionally to see if the potatoes are done.
  • When the potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and add the sugar and vinegar. Stir once or twice and leave for a couple of minutes, then serve.

karadekoolaid

Über Member
Local time
I bought some dried red chiles in the Chinese market.I´ve got no idea what variety they are. Tried a couple and I´d say they were "medium" heat; the sort you get all crushed up for sprinkling on pizzas.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:00 PM
I love the simplicity of this recipe - a few key ingredients and a few spices. The result is a very pretty aromatic dish.

One thing - you say to not use desiccated coconut. I totally agree if its sweetened desiccated coconut but I can see the unsweetened type working here. I'm not the hugest fan of coconut but I've used dried coconut in curries (toasted as you say) and it works very well.

karadekoolaid

Über Member
Local time
I have to disagree with you here; unless decimated coconut is the only possible thing available. Fresh coconut (I mean the grated meat of a mature coconut) provides such a different taste profile than the sawdust available in mant supermarkets.
I made this dish last weekend with dried coconut flakes, and nowhere even close to the dish I´ve made hundreds of times in Caracas.
If I had to make a comparison with another food item, I´d say it´s the difference between dried garlic and fresh. Yeah, it´s garlic - but do you prefer the real thing over something that´s been processed?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:00 PM
I have to disagree with you here; unless decimated coconut is the only possible thing available. Fresh coconut (I mean the grated meat of a mature coconut) provides such a different taste profile than the sawdust available in mant supermarkets.
I made this dish last weekend with dried coconut flakes, and nowhere even close to the dish I´ve made hundreds of times in Caracas.
If I had to make a comparison with another food item, I´d say it´s the difference between dried garlic and fresh. Yeah, it´s garlic - but do you prefer the real thing over something that´s been processed?

Fair enough. I don't often buy fresh coconuts because they are not often/always available here. Also, I'd end up with a lot of coconut left over if I wanted to use it in one dish. But I suppose the birds like it!

karadekoolaid

Über Member
Local time
No - you can freeze it and it works perfectly.
I buy the coconuts, remove the coconut meat, and blitz it in a food processor. Then I just bung it in a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer. Lasts for ages and you don´t even need to defreeze it much before using it; just break off a bit and add it to whatever dish you´re making.

Top Bottom