Recipe Potato & Tomato with Coconut

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
4:56 PM
This has to be one of my favourite Indian dishes. Simple to make, extraordinarily tasty, and not hot!

Ingredients
(For 6-8)

600 gms potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tbsps Ghee or oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 or three whole dried chiles
150 gms freshly grated coconut (decimated coconut is not good enough)
1 tsp turmeric powder
500 gms fresh, ripe tomatoes, cut into 6-8 pieces
2 tsps cumin powder
3/4 cup water
2 tsps sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar

Method:
  • Heat the ghee/oil in a medium sized pan with a tight-fitting lid and add the cumin seeds, garlic and whole chiles. Stir fry for about 30 seconds. Now add the coconut and fry until it changes colour.
  • Add the potatoes, tomatoes, turmeric and salt, and stir continuously until the potatoes take on a little colour from the spices.
  • Add the water, bring to a boil, then immediately lower the temperature to a minimum and put the lid on the pan.
  • Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the cumin powder. Mix well and replace the lid.
  • Cook for about another 10-15 minutes, checking occasionally to see if the potatoes are done.
  • When the potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and add the sugar and vinegar. Stir once or twice and leave for a couple of minutes, then serve.

I bought some dried red chiles in the Chinese market.I´ve got no idea what variety they are. Tried a couple and I´d say they were "medium" heat; the sort you get all crushed up for sprinkling on pizzas.

I love the simplicity of this recipe - a few key ingredients and a few spices. The result is a very pretty aromatic dish.

One thing - you say to not use desiccated coconut. I totally agree if its sweetened desiccated coconut but I can see the unsweetened type working here. I'm not the hugest fan of coconut but I've used dried coconut in curries (toasted as you say) and it works very well.

I have to disagree with you here; unless decimated coconut is the only possible thing available. Fresh coconut (I mean the grated meat of a mature coconut) provides such a different taste profile than the sawdust available in mant supermarkets.
I made this dish last weekend with dried coconut flakes, and nowhere even close to the dish I´ve made hundreds of times in Caracas.
If I had to make a comparison with another food item, I´d say it´s the difference between dried garlic and fresh. Yeah, it´s garlic - but do you prefer the real thing over something that´s been processed?

I have to disagree with you here; unless decimated coconut is the only possible thing available. Fresh coconut (I mean the grated meat of a mature coconut) provides such a different taste profile than the sawdust available in mant supermarkets.
I made this dish last weekend with dried coconut flakes, and nowhere even close to the dish I´ve made hundreds of times in Caracas.
If I had to make a comparison with another food item, I´d say it´s the difference between dried garlic and fresh. Yeah, it´s garlic - but do you prefer the real thing over something that´s been processed?

Fair enough. I don't often buy fresh coconuts because they are not often/always available here. Also, I'd end up with a lot of coconut left over if I wanted to use it in one dish. But I suppose the birds like it!

No - you can freeze it and it works perfectly.
I buy the coconuts, remove the coconut meat, and blitz it in a food processor. Then I just bung it in a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer. Lasts for ages and you don´t even need to defreeze it much before using it; just break off a bit and add it to whatever dish you´re making.

Back
Top Bottom