Recipe Quick & easy chocolate ice cream

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
10:13 AM
Quick & easy chocolate ice cream
jad_b.jpg

Serves 6-8 | Preparation 20-25 min, freezing time 4+ hours

This no churn ice cream is rich and velvety and needs just a blender or mixer and a few hours in the freezer to be completed.

I don’t like the extra sweet and heavy composition of condensed milk which is often used in no churn ice creams. I didn’t want to make a banana based ice cream either, so I thought about using hard boiled eggs and a small amount of almond flour to form a silky and compact texture without excess ice crystal formation. I found a few mousse recipes containing hard boiled eggs, so I thought of giving it a try. The end result was pleasant (and had no detectable egg or almond taste).

Ingredients
200 ml/0.85 cups double/heavy cream​
3 hard boiled eggs​
150 ml/0.6 cups caster sugar​
150 g/5.3 oz (153 ml/0.6 cups) crème fraîche​
100 ml/0.42 cups (50.7 g/1.8 oz) dark cocoa/cacao powder​
3 teaspoons vanilla paste/extract or seeds of 3 vanilla pods​
4 tablespoons almond flour​
1/8 teaspoon salt​
2 ice cubes (the eggs are probably still a bit warm when mixed)​
Instructions
1. Boil the eggs (10-15 min) and cool them in ice water or under cold, running water. Peel carefully.​
2. Whip the cream into compact foam.​
3. Add all other ingredients and blend until silky and smooth.​
4. Pour the mixture into a high-edged, freezer-safe tin or container. (I used a ø 20 cm round high-edged oven dish).​
5. Cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.​
6. Transfer into the freezer, let freeze for at least 3.5-4 hours (no churn) and cover with a plate or plastic wrap.​
7. Let soften for 5-7 minutes in room temperature before scooping.​

As this recipe is a novelty, I don’t know the shelf life of this type of ice cream.
jad_a.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t like the extra sweet and heavy composition of condensed milk which is often used in no churn ice creams

I don't either, but there is a very simple way which doesn't use bananas or condensed milk. See here - this can be made without the charcoal and tonka and other flavours subbed: Recipe - Tonka Bean and Bamboo Charcoal Ice-cream (no churn)

Using hard boiled eggs is most unusual and I'm not sure how this would make a difference to the taste or texture. I'd have thought it might be more difficult to achieve a smooth consistency unless you have a Vitamix or something. Certainly it would be difficult with mu stick blender which is all I have!

I don't either, but there is a very simple way which doesn't use bananas or condensed milk. See here - this can be made without the charcoal and tonka and other flavours subbed: Recipe - Tonka Bean and Bamboo Charcoal Ice-cream (no churn)

Using hard boiled eggs is most unusual and I'm not sure how this would make a difference to the taste or texture. I'd have thought it might be more difficult to achieve a smooth consistency unless you have a Vitamix or something. Certainly it would be difficult with mu stick blender which is all I have!
Thanks for the tip. The idea was to use boiled eggs - and with a standard stand mixer the texture was super smooth. Even the microscopic almond grains seemed to dissolve when the ice cream melted a bit.

Love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
A quick question, is adding eggs necessary? Are there any alternatives to it?

I doubt Hemulen will answer you as she is taking a break from the forum. My feeling is the eggs are important in this no churn ice-cream. The usual recipes you will find on the internet use sweetened condensed milk not eggs so you could use that - in which case cut down on the sugar in the recipe. Bananas can also be used in no churn (egg free) ice-cream.

Back
Top Bottom