Recipe Quinoa and Buckwheat flour Chocolate Cake (with some other stuff too)

Amateur1

Local time
8:43 PM
I took this to the office yesterday (16th Jan 2024) and it was popular. I'm thinking of increasing the oil and adding vanilla extract.
What are your thoughts? What would you change if you were making this recipe?

Based on Buckwheat Chocolate Cake (Gluten-Free + Egg-Free + Dairy-Free) | Nourishing Meals®

Dry Ingredients

250g quinoa flour
50g buckwheat flour
210g demerara sugar
70g cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
0.75 tsp baking soda
0.75 tsp lo salt
0.75 tsp mild chilli powder
25g macaroot
25g smoked paprika
1 tbsp Psyllium husk powder

Wet Ingredients

350ml warm water
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with oil.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into dry, scraping everything out using a silicone spatula, and whisk together.
Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool completely before adding any glaze or frosting.

I'm thinking of increasing the oil and adding vanilla extract. What are your thoughts?
I don't think chilli powder, smoked paprika and vanilla will work together will they?

What would you change if you were making this recipe?
It's hard to recommend anything because you haven't mentioned if there were any issues that you noticed with it. Was it too dry or crumbly? Did it rise enough? What did it taste like?

Adding extra oil will make it more moist if it was too dry after it had cooled.

I made the following changes which improved it.
8 tbsp olive oil instead of 5.
25g paprika instead of smoked paprika
2 tsp vanilla extract - I'm not sure if this made a difference.
I have a feeling there is a knack to getting the most flavour out of vanilla extract which I don't know. The batter was quite thick and I used about 30% truvia for baking. Both of these may have inhibited the vanilla. That said the cake was very nice.

I'm quite happy with the "science" of spice, but I insist it's "taste, taste, taste" that counts; and that is thoroughly subjective and artistic. You are the cook, you create the dish, you taste it first and you decide on the final ingredients.
I wouldn't have ever considered putting paprika in a cake, but the other day, I made an olive oil, ricotta and apple cake and it was divine, so hey! It's up to your palate.
Have you thought of using real vanilla beans, and scraping out the seeds? There's a vast difference between the extract and the orchid bean.

Back
Top Bottom