Recipe Revithosoupa: Greek Chickpea Soup, Vegetarian

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
12:36 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
It really tastes a LOT better than the ingredients sound, because this all plays well together. (I mean, it "seems" bland, but really is not.)

gr-chickpea-serve.jpg

Soup’s On!

I made mild adaptations to the following recipe (namely, the addition of celery, and the halving of the recipe. I also omitted the bay leaf as for me I never seem to taste that particular herb to begin with.) And then I incorporated a couple of thoughts from the second recipe: sautéing the onion, a little less oil, parsley garnish.

Greek Chickpea Soup - 30 days of Greek food

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24152/greek-chickpea-soup–revithosoupa-.aspx

While winter still is upon us, I’ve decided to go a bit further with the Greek theme, although I’m now popping around with recipes from around the world, or from my fevered imagination in the interim. I simply love the refreshing qualities of Greek food!

gr-chickpea-simmer.jpg

Simmering away…

For those who observe it, this soup recipe is also suitable for a Lenten Friday.

Prep Time: 10 minutes (excluding overnight soaking).
Cook Time: 75 minutes.
Rest Time: Until cool enough to consume.
Serves: 2 as the main.
Cuisine: Greek.
Leftovers: Yes. Soup will thicken further – you can always add more water or even a little vegetable broth.

Greek Vegetarian Chickpea Soup

• 0.75 cups / 150 grams of dried chickpeas. Preferably these should be peeled.
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped.
  • 1 large celery stalk, chopped.
  • Juice of one lemon – don’t use the bottled stuff.
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
  • 1/6th cup olive oil. (2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons or 40 mL) Note: I used 2 tablespoons / 30 mL.
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
  • Optional bay leaf.
  • Garnish with parsley.
Rinse, then sort out any debris/stones, from the chickpeas. Add them to a bowl of water which should amply cover them, as they will draw in water and expend. Let sit overnight…

Strain and rinse several times. If there are skins, remove using your hand, while rinsing.

In a small fry pan, sauté the onion in a minimum of oil until just beginning to brown in places. Set aside.

In your soup pot, add fresh water and the chickpeas. Boil for two-three minutes, and strain with further rinsing. Clean the pot prior to returning the chickpeas. Add enough water to the chickpeas to cover them about 1.5 inches / 4 cm above their surface.

Add onion, celery, oregano, and optional bay leaf, and bring this to a boil, and immediately lower the heat. Simmer for about an hour to 75 minutes if you are indeed using the dried rather than canned chickpeas, and add more water if needed.

Once chickpeas soften, add some salt. I’d start with half a teaspoon sea salt, you can adjust for more later.

In a food processor – or use your stick immersion blender in the “cup” that came with the blender (or a vessel of similar size) – place lemon juice (you can start by adding less than the full amount, if you think this will be too sour a soup), olive oil, and a half to full ladle of the cooked chickpeas. Blend until smooth. If this is too thick, add some chickpea broth. If potentially too thin, add more chickpeas from the soup proper.

Pour this blend slowly back to the cooking pot, stirring gently for a couple of minutes, or until soup thickens to your desire. Turn heat to a very low setting, then adjust seasonings to preference: the rest of the lemon??, salt, pepper, oregano… Cook this way until the soup is stable. Remove the bay leaf if using. Serve hot, with garnish.

gr-chickpea-logo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom